586,077 active members*
3,649 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Hardware > New 150 Watt Laser loosing Power. Hair pulling continues!

New 150 Watt Laser loosing Power. Hair pulling continues!

I purchased a new 150 Watt laser. (Chinese 37 X 48" bed, purchased through a U.S. Company. Tube says 160 watt) I have been very pleased with this machine (and the company I bought it from) as it did all that I had expected.

Two weeks ago we started it up and the power of the machine had decreased by around half of its power when cutting materials and if it cut material at all it was very inconsistent in different areas of the bed. (one day it worked the next it did not)

I got in touch with the Tech Support and over the last two weeks and together we have fiddled with and changed both the splitter lens (for red laser guide) and the cutter nozzle lens. We also have checked the mirror alignment at least 3 times (burn tests with tape) from the laser tube to the nozzle mirror. Every lens and mirror has been cleaned and are smoke free. After all this not much really changed power wise.

I also spent an entire day leveling the bed of the table. It was slightly out and now has a consistent level over its entire surface.

One of the things I discovered on my own this week after pulling what little hair I have out of my head is that the cutter nozzle mirror was not aligned properly to the lens below it. After adjusting this so the burn (tape test) was dead center at the lens the machine went from around 1/2 power to 3/4 power. (I etched images at the same settings that I had done when the machine was new to determine this) I may be able to adjust this slightly better but it is pretty much center.

Today I did a test on the power supply (rated for 150 watt laser) using the resistor and other parts provided. The power supply passed the test. (I used instructions from a video posted on youtube for my machine on how to test a laser power supply)

One other problem we have had and continue to have (reason why we changed the lens at the laser tube) is the ruby laser as it should is being reflects off the back of this lens with a small amount of red passing through it onto the back of the machine case. I was told this is normal however the 150 watt laser is also slightly reflecting of the surface of the lens with a small amount of its energy following the red laser to the back of the case. There is enough power in this to burn through placed tape and paint on the back lid of the machine.

When I first got this machine I would run it a 100% power and adjust the speed for different thickness cuts. On etchings I would reduce the power to around 27% and keep the speed up at 300 to 400. All worked well.

This week the tech told me I should never run the laser at 100%. This was news to me as it is not in any literature I have gotten from them and when I first was setting up the machine tech support said nothing about this. We have a similar sized machine where I teach and they always run their machine at 100% without ant problems.
    I am a bit confused by this.

The 50 mA gauge when I first got the machine would read at 43mA when I was cutting material, it does not bounce over 10 now on when I run it at 100% and less when I drop it down to the recommended 95%.

I have been very happy with all the phone and skype hours of help I have received from the companys Tech but something still seems wrong and he is not pointing me in any new direction for a solution other than mirror adjustment. Any help would be appreciated as to what else the problem may be or should I keep adjusting.

Thanks Ted

Re: New 150 Watt Laser loosing Power. Hair pulling continues!

Was having very similar problem. changed out my water. brand new distilled water. the laser is up and running again. try that.

Quote Originally Posted by mcopeland05 View Post
    Was having very similar problem. changed out my water. brand new distilled water. the laser is up and running again. try that.
    Hmmm
    Timely info as I have been having some new problems with lack of power.
    Thanks will try.

no problem. was stressing out big time as well. I did everything I knew to do. searched online for days. then I figured it what did we do when we first hooked it up? the water was the easiest of the things so I tried that first. seems to be at least one of the issues I was having if not all of it. still not as fast as i was at one point. but I am at least turning out a product now, where as before, I couldnt get anything out. good luck man.

What brand / factory did you buy this laser from? What's the model number?