586,108 active members*
3,195 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > mounting chuck to rotary table?

mounting chuck to rotary table?

Hi all,

This may be obvious, but what is the best way to mount a chuck to a rotary table? I have a little 4" rotary and I'd like to be able to mount my 5" 3 jaw to it.

This may pose a problem in itself, but I'd be willing to buy a smaller chuck just for this purpose. I guess I might need a chuck with a threaded back? I'd like to use my existing one if possible of course. I haven't learned to thread yet either, so the threaded chuck is not the best option at the moment. I know I know, go learn to thread.

thanks,

Dahui

I mounted my original Shoptask 3-jaw chuck to a 4" rotary table by cutting the edge of the table slightly to fit the recess on the back of the chuck. I used small rectangular stock protruding horizontally from the t-slots to secure the table using 4 bolts screwed into threaded holes in the back of the chuck.

I made an adapter on the lathe to fit the base of the chuck so it was elevated about 1/2". Then milled slots in it for the bolts to clamp it to the rotary table. I bought my 3 jaw for it and did not like the chinsey way the kit for it worked. Also the base was turned to fit the morse taper so it was easier to centre.
    John

On a bigger scale I have a ten inch rotery and it has a #3 moris in the center I took a discarded Drill and ground the drill to a comon size in my od grinder then cut it off and fasioned a bushing to fit it and the Id. of my ten" three jaw this makes swaping it around easy drilled the mounting holes through and counterboard for allen's and it can be on the rotery or a back plate for the lathe A 4" three jay inport is only about $50.00 From enco or MSC to save the grinding op you could use a drill chuck adapter or fassion a tapered dowel Carry on Kevin

Kevin,
    Not sure if yours is the same as mine but the chuck is the same diameter as the rotary table. No way to bolt down so had to make the adapter with the slots so it could be held. If you have the room all the suggestions are good.
    John

Cool Rotery Table

Vulcom1 Driled through the mountihg holes from the back side Ex. clearance for a 3/8 bolt through a 12mm threded hole this was on a larger chuck but scale it down 4mm or 10/32 or 1/4x20 through 6mm for instance or what ever size it takes you might have trouble finding T nut's for the thred size you need you may have to make them. Good luck Kevin

thanks for the suggestions

Thanks for all the tips. I'll see what I can come up with and post some pics if I can work something out. My chuck has 3 bolts on the back though, so I don't know that I can line it up with the slots. It looks like I might have to order a 4" round and mill a big groove around the center so I can use some hex bolts to mount to the T slots and then three holes so I can bolt the chuck to the plate. Does anyone have pics of their setup?

Of course it might be cheaper to buy a new chuck than to get a 4" round.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dahui
    Thanks for all the tips. I'll see what I can come up with and post some pics if I can work something out. My chuck has 3 bolts on the back though, so I don't know that I can line it up with the slots. It looks like I might have to order a 4" round and mill a big groove around the center so I can use some hex bolts to mount to the T slots and then three holes so I can bolt the chuck to the plate. Does anyone have pics of their setup?

Of course it might be cheaper to buy a new chuck than to get a 4" round.

A piece of cast iron 4" diameter x 1" thick is only $5.00 + S&H ($10)

Call Speedy Metals at 1-888-744-4140
    I get stuff from them all the time!
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!