586,094 active members*
3,858 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cutmaster 81 vs hypertherm 1000

I was just wondering for a cnc machine which one do you guys like. i have read in other threads that the powermax has problems with curves just wondering if the cutmaster has the same problem . the max i will be cutting is 5/8 and i really dont have the dough to jump to a 101 and definetly not for the 1250 powermax just wondering which one you guys would choose .
    they are about the same price so if one has a edge over the other i really would appreciate the info big time.
    JOhn

Hey John,

What did you mean with curves ?

The Cut Master 81 has the maximum cut capacity at 1", with some bevel. For genuine cut the capacity of machine is 7/8", this means a cut with quality, minumum bevel.
    I think that for your application the machines will fit is Cut Master 151, if the process is automated.
    For manual process Cut Master 81 can meet you expectations even the machine will work at its maximum.
    I said that all above assuming the material is mild steel.

Alex S.A

To add to alex's post. The reason that automated machines need to go bigger is due to the difficulty of piercing thick material. If you decide to go with the 81 you can have leadin cuts and do fine. If you have to do piercing cuts the capacity is drastically lowered.

Steven
    Inspiring Thought for the Day:

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

i just thought i saw on 2 other post that the hypertherm 1000 does not cut curves very good ive been sitting here for 3 days debating which one to get.
    i really appreciate the heads up on piercing . It does seem that nore people buy the hypertherm than the cutmaster . but the cutmaster is about 150 dollars cheaper and i could put that money towards a machine torch

One more note on the piercing operation.
    I have seen some folks get sround this by adding a 4th axis to the system and rolling the torch up to vertical then proceeding. This greatly aids the ability to pierce on an automated machine.

Now for the 150.00 difference I don't think you can go wrong with either of the choices you have mentioned. That is only around 6% o the machine price. In other words in the noise.

A search on here will show several people have mounted thier hand torch to machines. I guess I am saying you could do that now and get the machien torch later.

A good thing would be to call welding supply places in your area that carry the HT or TD models. Most will gladly let you come by and test drive one. That way you can definitivley answer your curves question. I did this when I bought and I ended up with the TD. It was not based on the quality of one machine over another but more of what store was closer for service and consumables. Add to that a local person I know was running a plasma table in production using a TD.

cyberweld.com usually has some good prices on TD machines. I used that price to get a better deal (not matched price deal) at my local dealer. I was willing to spend 50.00 more to support a local business.

Later, Steven
    Inspiring Thought for the Day:

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.