586,096 active members*
3,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Tormach Enclosure, PCNC 1100

After purchasing the Tormach PCNC-1100 I needed an enclosure as well. I did a DIY project and enclosed the mill on all sides. Wanted to do a lift up side window and sliding front doors. Here are pics of the final project.

I sure wish I had one, but I can't afford it right now.
    Donald

Machine or enclosure?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Enclosure. Sadly I am considering PVC and shower curtains.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Donald

Forget PVC pipe and shower curtains. Use Coroplast, and a little cheap lumber:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/novako...ml#post1402412

Total cost about $50, and it's light-years better than shower curtains, in every way.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I also have a Syil X4, it has a shower curtain front. Nothing wrong with it, if it contains the mess.

I may think about that, as I can get coroplast from any sign shop for like $10 a sheet.
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    I may think about that, as I can get coroplast from any sign shop for like $10 a sheet.
    Tough to beat, and even cheaper than shower curtains. I bought ten 48" x 96" sheets from Home Depot for $110 so I can do all my machines.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    yeah people have been using coroplast for enclosures for years here on cnczone, some more professional looking than others. there is a glue for it but it's pricy.

Year's ago I used CA glue when I used it for R/C airplane wings. Worked good

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyk409 View Post
    After purchasing the Tormach PCNC-1100 I needed an enclosure as well. I did a DIY project and enclosed the mill on all sides. Wanted to do a lift up side window and sliding front doors. Here are pics of the final project.

very professional job, something to be proud of for sure.

Looks good. Are you the one selling them on Ebay as well? I would have considered getting one off of Ebay, as my 8020 one cost nearly as much, but it came out a couple months after I finished.

I prefer my shower curtains over coroplast. I can see through it, and easily move it out of the way if I need to.

I'm sure it's very nice but I can't see it for all that fuzzy stuff.....
    Soft focus shots are for 'Babes', with machines we like clear, sharp, and lots of detail

Yeah @ $1600... you can build several enclosures from 80/20. I have about 400 in mine including polycarb, sliders, the works. That is for an 80"x30"x36"H enclosure.

There are different enclosures for each end purpose. I have some machines without, some with very basic and others with more elaborate setups.

Quote Originally Posted by zamazz View Post
    Looks good. Are you the one selling them on Ebay as well? I would have considered getting one off of Ebay, as my 8020 one cost nearly as much, but it came out a couple months after I finished.
    Yes I do sell them on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by sperman View Post
    I prefer my shower curtains over coroplast. I can see through it, and easily move it out of the way if I need to.
    Scott,

The way I built mine, the whole thing can be removed in just a few minutes - it simply lifts out in two pieces. Visibility can be addressed by putting a couple of Plexiglas windows in, just as you would with a "hard" enclosure. Shower curtains are a very messy solution - they always manage to leak, especially if you''re using high-volume flood coolant as I am. Chips cling to the curtains, and can be hard to wash off. Plus, the coolant inevitably makes them less transparent, and "stiffer", over time. And the Coroplast is MUCH easier to clean by just hosing it down. As an added bonus, lighting is significantly improved by the bright, white surface. I've used shower curtains for years on three machines, and I'd never go back. Best yet, the Coroplast is actually cheaper overall than the shower curtains.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by menzzer37 View Post
    Yeah @ $1600... you can build several enclosures from 80/20. I have about 400 in mine including polycarb, sliders, the works. That is for an 80"x30"x36"H enclosure.
    any pics? nice to see good looking enclosures befitting mills this expensive, anyone can slap together some plastic cardboard.

My enclosure (which is basically a copy of Compunerdys original with a few changes to suit me) is sort of half-and-half.
    Front panels & doors are 6mm thick clear Polycarbonate whilst the sides and the back are 6mm twin-wall Polycarbonate. This is much cheaper than the the solid cast sheet, obviously much lighter too, but also still has very good impact strength to interfere with fast flying objects, but lets in lots of light.

Cost was about £60 ($90) for all the 20mm square aluminium extrusions, about double that for all the Polycarbonate, and a few quid in fasteners and a few hours of my time, so really only around $300 in expenditure to build it. The brackets to mount it to the tray were actually the first job machined on the Tormach, as we use a different fastening system over this side of the Pond and can't get the brackets you have.

Page 1 of 2 12