586,080 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CRP 2448 PRO (not a 4824)

6 boxes with about a million parts arrived just before Christmas and have slowly been assembled into my custom 2448 machine. It is custom only in that the gantry Y is the short axis, not the X. I specified this for extra rigidity, but now that I have the machine assembled, I might have been OK with the standard PRO design which accommodates a much easier expansion to larger 48x?? formats.

The machine is assembled, cable chain installed and wiring routed to the end of the X axis tray. Proximity sensors are installed and I've just returned from setting up MACH3 and testing the sensors/tool setter. Apart from the pin setup not matching the instructions (Ahren said it might not) everything worked exactly to plan. Electronics consists of the Plug&Play Nema23 box, which I can tell you is first class in fit and finish.

What went wrong (and suggestions)

1. The Y axis rack was too short by a few inches. Ahren had shipped me a new rack immediately on receiving my email, but the old one will work for testing until it gets here. This is what can happen with custom machines I suppose.

2. I insisted on placing the electronics where the cables in the package didn't quite reach. The order was correctly configured for the normal placement and I could relocate the electronics, but I opted to order extension cables instead and stick with my plan.

A suggestion: The Plug&Play electronics package could either be auto ranging or switch selectable for 120/240V. Currently the changes need to be done when the unit is assembled for which ever power is appropriate. This would mean the fan would need to run on one of the power supply outputs rather than the input voltage.

and another: Accomodate a 5'th axis driver for those who want a 4'th axis on the machine. Ahren tells me he's already doing this - I was just too impatient to wait. The case for the current Nema23 package is not large enough to accommodate an extra driver and a new one is being sourced.

All in all I'm a happy camper and thank Ahren and everyone at CNCRouterparts for a great job.

Now if my Kress spindle and extension cables would get here............

A bit of an update:

The cables arrived and the machine moves under its own power now. I seem to have received a bonus of a bigger than standard Z axis - something I found when testing the range of motion when the cable chain ripped the spot welded nuts off the cable chain mounting bracket. A few chain links are on their way from CNCRouterparts to lengthen the chain.

On the spindle front the news is less good. 1050 FME arrived from DamenCNC - not an FME-1 as ordered. I'm now working with them to arrange a replacement. The problem is shipping cost - shipping the spindle back at normal UPS rates is $171.00. Damen CNC is now working with UPS to arrange a special rate. Here's hoping.

Meanwhile I've mounted an old makita laminate trimmer ($8 at a garage sale) and I'll make a few cuts with that.

I'd be interested to know what Z velocity settings others are using on their systems which have the pro Z.

If Damen CNC sent the wrong spindle you shouldn't have to pay anything for shipping!
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Damen have agreed to replace the spindle at their cost including shipping - Apparently though, UPS will reduce their rate to Damen for returns and that negotiation is what I am waiting on.

Damen have been very cooperative so far.

Screeching Z axis - was traced with Ahren's help to binding against the Z dust cover plate. Removed the plate - no more binding. Now I need a solution for a new dust cover. The one that was on there was pretty thin stock already, so I'm not sure what the solution will be.

Very nice build !!
    the setting for my Z axis are : Steps: 10165, Velocity : 100, Accel : 200
    this was as per an e-mail from Cory when I was setting up my machine. I too removed the back plate and at one point I even changed the velocity to 50 as the ball screw was binding. I ran the machine last night very successfully, I will very the setting for you tonight.

I think you mean 20 for the acceleration. I am currently running a velocity of 100- accel 20 and while I think I could change the velocity to 200 now I don't really see any reason to do that. I am using 10160 for the Z steps but I got that number from Ahren - I haven't run a test yet.

Things are moving slowly to completion. I mounted the spoil board assembly consisting of 18mm baltic birch with .75 in mdf on top. I ran a surfacing program on it using my $8 makita with a .75 2 flute cutter (.25 shank). The results were ok - not a great surface, but the machine isn't mounted solidly yet. I took some time and designed a mount for the Kress spindle which bolts on to the CRP mount backing plate. If anyone is interested, I'll post the CAD files here. I also did a design for a dust shoe to go with it. I've made the mount and tried the spindle in it - seems fine. I haven't yet made the dust shoe.

I tried to vacuum up the dust as it was being generated but managed to trip a proximity sensor (twice) as the vacuum hose ran up on the sensor (it is metal reinforced). I think some guards would be a good idea to protect the sensors from contact with objects. This would protect against accidental limit hits but also protect the sensors themselves. I think I've seen some done in plexi - maybe I saw them here.

Meanwhile the Kress saga continues: Damen will email me a UPS return label and I'll ship back the wrong unit Monday. They will return ship me the correct one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kress mount.jpg  

Sorry you are right, I meant 20 for acceleration. I am running 210 velocity as for some reason if I run 100 the Z tends to bind.
    I am also working on a dust shoe because the dust is incredibly crazy.

If the Z binds at any velocity, I'd look for another source of friction, like perhaps the eccentric nuts being to tight.

yes I also looked at that. They were very tight from the factory. I did mention this to the CNCRP team and I was told they Z axis were built like that intentionally. I didn't really buy that response but I took the whole thing apart. My axis now runs very smooth after I corrected that. I also tested at 100 and 120 and it runs fine.

Where exactly are the "eccentric nuts"? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kaetamer View Post
    Where exactly are the "eccentric nuts"? Thanks.
    on the left side of the Z axis behind the bearings (top and bottom)

PS: Do you guys like the "bristles of my dust shoe" ? lol

The eccentric nuts are located behind the V bearings on one side only of the Pro Z axis. They are used to tighten the bearings against the steel rail that they ride on.
    They should be just tight enough so that you cannot rotate the stationary bearing against the steel.

Quote Originally Posted by kjk2002 View Post
    The eccentric nuts are located behind the V bearings on one side only of the Pro Z axis. They are used to tighten the bearings against the steel rail that they ride on.
    They should be just tight enough so that you cannot rotate the stationary bearing against the steel.
    Correct, that is what the picture show. It should be tight, but the way mine came from CNCRP was way too tight.
    Also, are you getting their proximity sensors and z touch plate ?

im going to order the sensors, but have the z touch plate w the spring and i like it very much. I recommend it.

I bought a cheap set of proximity sensors off ebay and they work just fine - The essential difference between these and crps is range. More range gives you better protection of the sensors by the bumpers. They may well be more repeatable, but I haven't had any issues with mine in that respect. I also have the tool height setter and I agree it is great.

MDF dust is killing me - dust shoe is rapidly moving to top of the build list but I need my spindle to get here. Will be at least a week before my reject gets to the Netherlands and my proper spindle makes the return trip.

At least the mdf cutting into the table is done now and I can cut some real wood.

Where can I get some brush strips to put on my dust shoe?

i am also trying to find some.

This is the only one I have found. I've seem manufacturers sites that do it, but no retailers.

KentCNC, LLC. Replacement Brush

I used this stuff from McMaster, It works really well on my dust shoe.

McMaster-Carr

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2533.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	219414

Unfortunately McMaster-Carr don't ship to Canada. I'll improvise something until I can find some proper brush.

Page 1 of 2 12