586,111 active members*
3,225 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question laser vector cutting, not straight, wavy instead

Hello,

I'm cutting a couple certificates on card stock and generally the laser has been OK, I'm trying to figure out why it's cutting not precisely.
    I include some images which will explain exactly what I am talking about. Basically on corners it appears that the laser overshoots a tiny bit and then comes back to cut. On straight lines it often is a little wavy.

Three images here; https://plus.google.com/photos/11138...OKvmY3hpuXn2wE

First image shows the problem at it's most extreme in the "A" and "T" of foundation. However you can see it on almost all the corners.

Second image shows the 'wavyness' of the lines are just pure curves in the file and should burn much much cleaner.

And FWIW I included settings I'm using.

The file is an illustrator file. All lines are at 0.001pt, 100% black.

I'm using an Epilog Helix Laser 30 Watts.

I've played with the driver settings quite a bit, and while responsive they don't seem to affect the poor cutting.
    Most recent settings I'm using are
    speed 55
    power 70
    freq 500
    Everything I've read leads me to believe that it's a frequency thing, however tests with the frequency at 2500 or even 5000 make no difference.

All help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Joe

Attachment 217026
    Attachment 217028
    Attachment 217030

oops, I think you can view all three images via this link;

https://plus.google.com/photos/11138...OKvmY3hpuXn2wE

thanks, Joe

The problem doesn't appear consistent to be settings. One section shows the vertical in the T to be all wiggles in another area the T is straight.
    My guess is some internal or externally induced vibration. Low frequency. Or something is loose allowing the beam to wander on turns Or something loose in XY carriage

Also try something other then text like squares and see if the problem follows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check your encoder strips to make sure they aren't dirty or broken.

cheers

Dave

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, sometimes it appears worse than others and it is not always the same. The "A" and "T" are extreme versions of is burning improperly however I'm most concerned about the irregularity at each corner and how it occurs so frequently and randomly.

The text is already outlined to just be a bunch of shapes. I will check out the encoder strips and see if cleaning will solve the problem, this was now something that was part of our regular maintenance of the machine... usually just cleaning the laser lenses.

Thanks again!
    Joe

It looks like a problem with the X-axis only as this is where most of your wearing take place. Timing belts do stretch and this cause vibration as the belt teeth does not line up with the pulley's teeth when stretched. Too tight belts will cause more damage than do good. Move the head by hand left/right and feel if there is any problems. Don't forget to lubricate the rails and bearings lightly with a thin oil. Make also sure the mirrors and lens is not loose or any other parts on the X-axis.