586,075 active members*
4,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Benchtop machine for every-now-and-then steel

Benchtop machine for every-now-and-then steel

All,
    First post here...so a quick intro:
    • I am not a machinist by trade, but do have an engineering background. I took classes on autocad/solidworks a few years back.
    • The main purpose of this machine would be one-off parts for car/motorcycle restoration/modification...and whatever else I may mess with
    • Due to this, I cannot have a machine that won't perform well on steels (stainless and average carbon). Also I don't see the requirement of having a massive machine 'just in case'. For large/important items (eg engine heads) I'd farm out the work as it is well above my skill level anyway.

I have been lurking reading posts here and elsewhere for the past couple of months and am looking for some input/validation of my thoughts thus far:
    • A G0704 would be a good size machine, however it most likely isn't sturdy enough and does not have sufficient spindle motor power for carbon steels
    • The G0795 may be a better choice in terms of stiffness and out of the box power...but I cannot seem to find any real information on it here. I do believe I saw a post where Arazoniavideo stated he would test one out...but didn't see his feedback anywhere.
    • For roughly $600 more than the G0795 I can go to a much larger machine from Charter Oak - the 12a. I've exchanged a few emails with them and they seem pretty solid. However the only CNC kit I am aware of is only available from them, at a whopping $6800 due to it being servo driven. (at that rate I'd bite the bullet and get their turn-key system).

I am roughly 4 hours away from the Griz showroom and warehouse, and 5 hours from Charter Oak..So shipping isn't a concern. As this machine will not be used commercially, I want to make sure that I have something which will suit my needs, and not be tied up with future growth, etc.
    My gut tells me that the 12z would be the 'best' choice - but would take the most amount of work to make my own stepper kit (I do not want to pay $13k for the turn-key servo powered unit). Whereas the G0795 may be able to use most of the G0704 pieces and would come in at less than 1/2 the 12z price.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Benchtop machine for every-now-and-then steel

you live in usa why not an tormach or novakon ?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I have a RF45 that was converted to CNC by someone else. The biggest problem with the RF45 platform in my opinion, is that there are way to many versions of it out there. And because of that, nobody can simply make universal bolt on parts for them.

One of the things thats on my list of things to do, is to build a enclosure for it. But that will most likely in my case require building a new base and relocating the electronics enclosure. I would probably have to change the way the servos are mounted as well. Its a project that I am sure will take me 2-4 months to complete once I start on it. But it will be worth it to keep the chips from flying 15 feet and covering my garage floor.

If I had to start over, I would probably buy a Tormach 440. The price is very reasonable, even with the enclosure.
    Work: Hurco VMX42/VMX50 - Shopsabre 4896 - Bobcad V4 4axis pro
    Home: RF45 with Ajax CNC Controller - Bobcad V27 3 axis pro

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    you live in usa why not an tormach or novakon ?
    Thank you. I have not ruled them out...However with regards to the Tormach I see a few detractors of it vs the 12z machine - The 12z costs less than a similar spec'd out 1100, while having a larger work envelope, more powerful motor, and servo motors on the ball screws. I have not researched the novakon, I'll do that today.

Thanks again,
    Steve

The tormach 1100 will do everything you want it to. Servo's are not all they are cracked up to be. More expensive for sure. Tormach's system is VERY good and very accurate, and their new controller software (PathPilot) really makes the machine dance and come alive, much more than Mach3 ever did.

And if you don't need the tool changer, it's not really that pricey either.

I don't like the Novakon because I do not like how their way adjustments work, or their Z height. The tormach's way adjustment gibs are much better and easier to tune. (Just my personal opinion, so no flames please). I know the novakons are good machines too, and the work envelope is HUGE. It's just not for me or my tastes.

Hope this helps, and when you decide, I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you get.

Cheers,
    Wade

Wade - thank you!
    I greatly appreciate all of the thoughtful replies thus far. I am going to try finding a few local people with machines to check out in person. I'll report back with my thoughts once I've had a chance to touch and feel the machines.

-Steve