586,089 active members*
3,965 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport series II interact II tool holders?

Bridgeport series II interact II tool holders?

I have a Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 with a Heindenhain 2500B controller and a pneumatic ½-13 drawbar. Manual calls out a #30 Erickson Quick Change tool holders. Anyone else out there have the same machine? And what tool holders are you using for this? We just bought this machine with no tooling. Seems to run fine so far but I’ve never used a conversational controller so this should be fun, never used block type programming before just Gcode. Any information on this machine would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 526.jpg   523.jpg   511.jpg  

Looks like someone has added a -power draw bar and removed the QC30 spindle nose closer. Pictures are of one I put on ebay this morning co-incidentaly

Andrew
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Yea I'm not sure why it was changed from what I'm reading the Quick Change was the way to go and briefly remember using one. Changing the tool was as fast as half turning the collar and the tool drops out and replaced just as easy. So with that being said I figure that any NMTB 30 taper Erickson tooling should fit with correct collets?

CashPlugin

That is a standard 30 taper with a draw bar,it did not have a Erickson QC on that spindle some of these machines were made like this
    Mactec54

So am I correct in assuming that a NMTB 30 taper Erickson tooling should fit with correct collets. I'd rather have the quick change because of the repeatability of the tooling but it is what it is. Also it has a printer port cable coming out of the controller, not sure if they were just drip feeding this or had some Gcode software to program from and transfer to the controller? A lot to learn here with this one.

I believe that the TNC2500 can drip feed using TNCserver downloadable from heidenhain.de web site Also it can be switched into G code mode by changing a parameter. All the manuals are on that site for free download.

Andrew
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

CashPlugin

The repeatability will be the same, may even be better than the QC30, both are using the same tool holder & taper that they fit into, one benefit that you have is any tooling that has the flange that is to thick & to large, it will fit your spindle but not the QC30, the Bridgeport Explorer came with that spindle also

One thing to remember is always insert the tools into the spindle with the same orientation, mark one key on the spindle, paint Etc, & mark the tool holders in one of the key slots, the tool holders will then always seat the same way in the spindle, which will help with repeatability
    Mactec54

Mactec54
    Thank you for the repeatability tip. A+ information

- - - Updated - - -
    Awemawson
    Yea I have been looking over the site but can't find anything for the 2500?

Yea I found these I was wondering about the possibility of using a Cad/Cam for this?

Oh you are very welcome, absolutely no problem at all, no need to so be effusive in your thanks, always happy to help people who show their gratitude !!!!
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Quote Originally Posted by CashPlugin View Post
    I have a Bridgeport Series II Interact 2 with a Heindenhain 2500B controller and a pneumatic ½-13 drawbar.
    May i ask what the name on the drawbar is? Been looking for one, got a machine just like yours but with TNC 155. Just replaced the 150 it came with.

Yea that did seem rude, my apologies there Andrew. Thanks for your time.

Accepted I'm sure that you were just pushed for time.

Andrew

ps Yes no problems using it with CAD / CAM I do it all the time. Many packages will post process to output Heidenhain conversational code, or you can switch the control to read ISO G code by parameter
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Andrew,

Do you mind me asking what kind of CAD/CAM software your using? I've read that most will have some type of post processor for the Heidenhain control, I was just wondering if one was better than the rest or at least one that was user friendly?

MatsN,

Not sure if this will help but mine 30.672 long and is stamped C0-009

Spline Head Speedy Drawbar for Bridgeport Series 1 CNC Made in USA | eBay

Looks like it.

I'm using an old copy of FeatureCAM 2007 that was included with my first Interact which had a TNC151B control. That machine sadly was lost in a moving accident, but I now use the same software with my TNC355 equipped Beaver Partsmaster. Generate the tool paths and post process them into Heidenhain conversational code and use Heidenhains TNCServer to upload them to the control. TNCServer is part of TNCRemo, which is a free download from the Heidenhain.de web site. FeatureCAM has many post processors, and will do H conversational, and H ISO G code with equal ease if you have the magnetic keyboard overlay for your TNC2500. It also allows you to tweak the post processor, so I have adjusted mine to cope with the 16 station tool changer that I have.

You have a TNC2500 as I understand it. Never used one, but I believe it was essentially a TNC151/155/355 rebadged for Bridgeport
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Thanks Andrew for the response. In speaking with Rick Antkowiak from the Heidenhain Corp, He said;

"Since all of our controls are upward compatible any Heidenhain post (TNC100 series to TNC500 series) will work, but if you want all of the features of the TNC 2500 try and find a post for the TNC355, TNC360 or higher control."

So with that being said I did download the TNCremo and the TNCserver so now I'm basically trying to find the CAM system that I can use. I will look into the FeatureCAM.

Again thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by CashPlugin View Post
    MatsN,

Not sure if this will help but mine 30.672 long and is stamped C0-009

Spline Head Speedy Drawbar for Bridgeport Series 1 CNC Made in USA | eBay

Looks like it.
    That might work, thank´s. What´s the name on the pneumatic thingy you have on top?

Chicago pneumatics
    Air Wrench
    CP720