586,332 active members*
4,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Draft Angle Bobcad/Cam V23

Draft Angle Bobcad/Cam V23

Hi All,

Need a little help. I run Bobcam V23 with Inventor 2010. I need to cut an inside draft angle within a 3.0" diameter hole in .50 aluminum. I have the solid model complete with Inventor and importing as a stp. into Bobcam. Do I use 2-D profiling cut or pocket ? Thanks for the help!

I use 3D milling. Look in the help menu under 3D Milling it shows it pretty well.

I guess you could use 2D if you used a tapered cutter.

Thanks RAF. Which configuration under 3D milling would I use?

If taper EM is not available,I would use a 2D pocket,followed up by a 3D Z-Level rough and or finish.

Thank you, The 2D features I'm very familiar with and do frequently. The 3D features I do not have a lot of experience with. Do you know where I can find a 3D feature procedure for taper using the Z-level rough/finish?

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    If taper EM is not available,I would use a 2D pocket,followed up by a 3D Z-Level rough and or finish.
    jrmach suggestions are a good strategy.

Have you looked at the help menu at the top of the program tool bar, then go to 3d milling.

Yes the Help menu and you can look here for videos on V23 Bobcadcam?s Videos on Vimeo

After exploring those options,post back if you have a particular question.Most helpful if you include a .bbcd file.You will have to .zip it to upload it here.

This is using only 3D tool paths with the 3" boundary you can select the whole model (solid) and only cut inside of boundarey. On a opened bottomed part I add 1/2 the dia. of ball end mill to part bottom -depth so ball will cut thru part.

Hope this helps

RAF

Thanks RAF, this is what I'm looking for. I noticed the boundary chain is above the stock. What is the reason for this? Also do I need to select the hole bottom chain as well or just the top? Where I get confused is selecting stock and boundaries etc. Again, thanks for time and help.

Here is a good thread to read,at least some of it http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad..._boundary.html

If you can post your file,we can better help you,instead of asking dozens of questions.

The reason I put the boundary up is just ease of selection (maybe bad habit I don't know) In feature right clik geom. You should be able to select the whole solid then right clik then OK. Then right clik boundary and then right clik OK. To make sure what you have selected is what you want, just clik on them in the feature and they will highlight to show selection. There are no chains to select when doing 3D, you are picking the solid. I guess it could also be said that were are picking the surface. Either way it should work for you because it is cutting inside the boundary.

Good deal! I will give it a try. I appreciate your help and time!