586,076 active members*
3,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > a tip for us newbies so we don't have to change offest everytime we change tools

a tip for us newbies so we don't have to change offest everytime we change tools

I am still fairly new to cnc milling as a hobby. I don't have a lot of tool holders that will allow me to set my offsets before I start running my program and not have to reset it each time I change out a tool.

So I thought the other day, about buying shaft collars to use on my cutters. The collars have a set screw to tighten down on your cutters so it don't move. These collars come in all different sizes, and if you have an oddball size tool you can buy a smaller one and drill it out to the needed size. So using one of the collars like what is shown in the link below, I can set all my offsets at once, then run my parts with out having to do it again. This way you don't have to have a collet or tool holder for every tool you use alot.

Shafting Collars, Couplings & Locking Assemblies | Collars | Set Screw Collar, 3/8 " Bore, GSC-037-SS | B262996 - GlobalIndustrial.com

David

Best Money I Ever Spent 2010 Screenset and Touch Probe

David,

I use one of these CNC4PC set up as a tool setting probe and 2010 screenset for Mach3 The CNC Woodworker - Mach3 2010 . Gerry (developed 2010 screen set) was able to change a macro for me so I can run it in the following way;

I find X0 and Y0 (a corner of the part typically) then find Z0 by bringing my 1st tool to the top of my raw material (clamped in a vise or to the table) and use a thin (.0015") shim between the tool and raw material and set this as Z0. Remove the shim and adjust the tool down .0015” to actual Z0 then I set the Z0 in Mach3 for whatever offset I’m using (generally I use G56). X0, Y0, Z0 are now set.

I press the “Initial Auto Zero Macro for Tool Changes” in the 2010 screenset and tool 1 (or whatever number, tool numbers don’t matter) will move to the touch probe and find “Auto Zero”. The controller now knows this tool Z height in reference to the top of the material (+ or – from top does not matter that I’ve noticed).

I have the touch plate at a defined location ( I made a fixed location mount that hangs off the back of the machine table just inside the travel limits).

On a tool change call in the program M06, the machine will go to a park location so I can change tools (Tool numbers don't matter either) after taking out the old tool and replacing it with the new tool I hit cycle start and the tool moves to the probe position comes down and touches the probe and it now knows where the tip is in reference to the first tool and in reference to the top of the material.

I’ve done this for programs with as many as 15 tools and have not had any issues with Z0 on any tool.

Search the forum for ” Mach3 2010 Screen set” and read all the entries. There are lots but it’s worth reading since some a certain version of Mach3 causes it not to run and that version is listed somewhere in that forum. Also, there are instructions on page 16 post #661 showing how to increase the travel on the probe cycle in case you are using short tools (I had this issue and this change resolved that.)

Long winded hope this helps but I can honestly say it’s the best money I’ve ever spent buying these two items.

Attachment 217326 Attachment 217328 Attachment 217330 Attachment 217332

You could also try Mach Standard Mill. The automatic tool length offset features alone are worth the price of the software. MSM can use a very simple touch off plate to measure tool length after each tool change. I've been using it for over a year and I couldn't be happier.