Question VFD recommendations?

Hello,

I'm looking for a good inexpensive VFD:

Input: 230V single phase
    Output: 230V 3-phase
    Motor Size: 2 Horsepower

recommendations?

Thanks, :cheers:

I would look at the eBay route, reputable seller.
    This way you get a quality unit with features for 'Inexpensive'.
    Square D Altivar, Mitsubishi, WEG.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have a new Hatachi L-200 I just got of ebay new. It is very nice and easy to wire up. It works far better than an old Baldor VFD that seemed to be finiky and eventually just blew up.

It is a small package too and comes with a warrantee, can't go wrong.

I just bought a TECO FM50 2HP unit from http://www.factorymation.net for $145.00 and
    I'm real happy with it. It doesn't have frequency control knob on the box (used up/down
    arrows) but that didn't matter to me since I hooked it up remotely anyhow. Programming
    was easy. The folks at Factorymation were nice to deal with.

Drew

Anyone know of any 5hp+ VFDs which take a 230v single phase input and output a 230v 3 phase output ?

So far everything I can find is like that up to 3hp and then goes to 3ph in 3ph out for anything larger.
    Dom
    http://www.ukrobotics.com/projects

VFDs

Split63, have you found a VFD yet?? Some manufacturers recommended derating the drive by 50% when used on single phase power. Hence, you would need to go to 5 HP. What are you willing to spend. Maybe I can help!!
    Dennis

phase converter Recommendations?

Perhaps I'm asking for a recommendation on the wrong type of device. Fundamentally all I need is a Phase converter. Can I get just a simple inexpensive phase converter? Recommendations?

:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by split63
    Perhaps I'm asking for a recommendation on the wrong type of device. Fundamentally all I need is a Phase converter. Can I get just a simple inexpensive phase converter? Recommendations?

If you are looking for a cheap way, there are previous post here on building a RPC, you will need a 2hp 3phase (4pole) motor, some caps and push button and a contactor.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Regarding inexpensive phase converters, try andersonconverter on Ebay.
    That is their user name and they have a Ebay store there.

Good luck.
    Jim

VFD by AC Tech

I have a 25HP VFD Drive from AC Tech, Very nice control, has full MODBUS and RS485 Control via Computer...

http://www.actech.com/home.htm

Thats my suggestion...

-Allen

Considering the costs and simplicity of VFD I do wonder if it is even economical anymore to make use of phase converters. Especially under 3 horsepower.. The only time this wouldn't be true is if you can pick up the components for a rotary phase converter cheap or free.

That of course is up to you. No one has yet to mention Automation Direct so I will throw that name into the mix. One shouldn't discount your local electtrical distributor either, as the cost of these drives continue to drop and interent competition continues they need to become more competitive.

Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by UKRobotics
    Anyone know of any 5hp+ VFDs which take a 230v single phase input and output a 230v 3 phase output ?

So far everything I can find is like that up to 3hp and then goes to 3ph in 3ph out for anything larger.
    The largest HP I have seen on a single phase input, three phase output is 7 1/2 HP on the older Cutler-Hammer SV9000 VFDs. I don't know if their new style SVX drives still go up to 7 1/2 HP or not with single-phase inputs, I haven't worked for C-H for 6 years, but I still keep in touch with my old friends there. The problem becomes the current draw on 230V single-phase to run anything higher than 7 1/2HP.

The Hitachi L200 is a great drive for the money. It was brand labeled by several large companies including Cutler-Hammer (C-H's AF91). As previously mentioned, Automation Direct carries the Hitachi drives. They have very good pricing too.

For smaller motors, I like the using a VFD because in addition to the 3-phase output, you gain speed control and the ability to overspeed the motor as well. Depending upon the application, I would only do this with an Inverter Duty motor and for applications that do not require 100% torque.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRobotics

I emailed my buddy at Eaton Electric (the old Cutler-Hammer). He said that Eaton's SVX line of drives can all take single-phase inputs, but you have to double the drive size to cover your motor's amperage requirements. So you could run a 10Hp 230Vac 3-phase electric motor with a 25Hp 230Vac drive connected to a single-phase input. This opens some nice possibilties for a larger air compressor at the house!