586,119 active members*
3,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > differential quadrature encoder

differential quadrature encoder

On an Ajax Centroid system, when wiring a pulse generator, for manual axis control, that has a 5 wire + shield output, i.e. 5V+, 0V, A, B, Z wires, can the 0V be wired to the Ajax -A, -B, -Z inputs?

Cheers, Colin

connect A and B only

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk
    Jorge B.
    jorbercnc.com

Sorry, I cannot answer your quewstion, but you post interest me. How does one add a manual axis control to a Ajax Centroid system?

You can buy from Ajax a plug in pulse generator on a lead, with switch to chose which axis the pulses will be sent to. In my case I already have a very good aluminium hand wheel and axis selection switch on my machine guard, in a perfect position for doing manual machining, or more normally setting the tool compensation and X & Z sizing. I want to buy an encoder and fit it to this handwheel, but have not yet found one with the correct pin output for the Ajax system. I feel that 0V can be used as all pin output negatives, but need this confirming.

Cheers, Colin

One possible option could be to use a DS9638 Dual High Speed Differential Line Driver. I use this chip to generate differential signals out of single ended ones from encoders. They are 8 pin chips requiring 5 volts. The following link downloads the spec sheet.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...59026428,d.cWc

While I don´t know the Ajax systems I´m quite sure that if it requires differential inputs using two DS9638´s will fulfill your needs. Just remember to use one 100uF/16V and one 0.1uF/50V between the power lines (5V to GND) in your PCB to filter out possible electric noise due to the interconnection.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by howanc7 View Post
    You can buy from Ajax a plug in pulse generator on a lead, with switch to chose which axis the pulses will be sent to. In my case I already have a very good aluminium hand wheel and axis selection switch on my machine guard, in a perfect position for doing manual machining, or more normally setting the tool compensation and X & Z sizing. I want to buy an encoder and fit it to this handwheel, but have not yet found one with the correct pin output for the Ajax system. I feel that 0V can be used as all pin output negatives, but need this confirming.

Cheers, Colin
    NO control will see that as loss of enc sig. see bbmx's solution or buy right encoder and a new cable with enough wires

I have done a lot more reading now, and will be looking for the correct differential quadrature encoder, to fit to my existing graduated handle. I guess there are not many short cuts in this world LOL.

Regards, Colin

There are many shortcuts, you just have to know where to look. Here is one shortcut for you: US Digital | Products » EA Incremental Encoder Adapter

Input 5 pin connector for your encoder. Output 10 pin connector for your differential inputs on your control.

Matt

As in post #5 there are a few IC's out there that will convert single ended to differential for a few ¢ and a small strip board.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks every one, it has now been confirmed by Ajax, that for my manual pulse generator input, I don't need the Z output (nothing to reference), so I will be using a chip to make the A & B, into A+ A- and B+ B-. Seems the best solution, as I have a spare of the original one fitted to the machine, so won't need any mechanical changes and will have a spare on the shelf.

Regards, Colin