586,321 active members*
3,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > How to set Sabre 750 VMC tool changer z-height position?

How to set Sabre 750 VMC tool changer z-height position?

I am trying to learn how to alter the z-axis position for tool changer on Cincinnati Milacron Sabre 750 VMC tool changer with Acramatic 850 MC control (not SX.)

The z-axis position appears to be maybe .1" high, causing the fingers to be pried upward somewhat as the drawbar pulls the Cat40 holder into the spindle.

The offset is also apparent when the tool is returned to the changer, as it appears to release the tool slightly above the level finger position.

I know this cannot be good for the tool carousel tool holder retainer fingers.

This is 1991 model EAA.

Thanks in advance.

k

I have had one of these mills for about 8 months now. I would think if the tool change location is off that the the first thing to check would be to make sure that the machine is aligned correctly. It sounds to me that you may have a limit switch that needs adjusting. You can still get support for this machine thru Cincinnati.
    Dont call Siemens though unless you want to pay to talk them.

Thanks for the response.

The machine aligns at Z= 25.0000", always, and I see the limit switch ramp at high rear column, and it is tightly mounted, and I have cleared it of chips, along with the switch's touch wheel, which is activated by the ramp.

I spoke with a man in the Fives customer service department. He explained the z-axis tool changer position setting procedure, for this control. In order to access the service features in the control, the Service switch in the control cabinet must first be enabled.

Once the service switch is enabled, then the control shows Service instead of '-'.

Selecting Service provides access to both the Machine Tool Builder parameters area, and the Machine Commissioning parameters area.

He explained that I needed to set a MTB parm to 1 to allow z-moves with the tool drum at the spindle side.

Then he explained the MC parameter that controls the z-axis tool change position, that I should ensure the desire units MM or Inch was set, then, using a tool holder minus the pull knob, to carefully move z using MPG and fine units motion selection, until the tool was a good fit into the spindle. Then I should increase the z-position approximately .5 to 1mm, and that would be the desired z-setting for tool change.

After entering and saving the new z-position for tool change, then I would clear the MTB z-motion with drum to right flag set earlier.

I haven't performed this procedure yet, but will walk through it soon, observing motions only, and not making any change.

I also plan on checking the tool pickup at all index positions of the tool drum.

I'll also again carefully check the position of final align, as you mentioned. I'll likely inspect inside the z- switch box to ensure that there's not some small flake that has worked into the box.

Thank you for adding the procedure here on the "Zone". You may not realize it but this will help others later down the road.
    One thing I must say about the 850 is that it is very susceptible to humidity. Being in the southeast I had to learn this the hard way.LOL