586,119 active members*
3,472 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle control board?

Hi all,

Anybody else here running a VFD spindle on their IH mill? If so, what kind of spindle control board are you using? My mill is an older IH with a VFD and belt drive. It was built by Aaron Moss back before he sold the company to Gene and Tommy. The VFD is controlled by a Sound Logic Spindle Control board. For a while now the board has had issues. Occasionally the spindle would not come on when commanded. I've always been able to get the spindle turning by "wiggling" the 0-10v wires from the board to the VFD (I know, but it worked). But now, the spindle board is completely dead and not putting out any voltage even when I perform the very scientific "wiggle" procedure. Its time to replace it. In looking online for a replacement I see that board is no longer available. I'd like to know what others are using and what board IH currently uses in their turnkey mills.

thanks

i use a cnc4pc spindle control board in mine. however I was never happy with the 1-10 v signal between the board and vfd. I did get it to work but it doesn't seem very robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    i use a cnc4pc spindle control board in mine. however I was never happy with the 1-10 v signal between the board and vfd. I did get it to work but it doesn't seem very robust.
    Thanks

That's exactly the board I was considering replacing mine with. Did your mill come with that board or did you add it yourself?

I built my mill from the kit so I sourced the board myself. as to what they use now? I have no idea.

I depends on which VFD, most VFD have Modbus. Just use RS485 from PC direct to VFD via Modbus.

We are currently using the PMDX 107 paired with their 126 breakout board. We are happy with the performance of both products.

Ah, so you guys are using PDMX now. As I said earlier, I’ve been considering the CNC4PC board for the spindle, but they are currently out of stock. The website says they’ll be in stock this weekend, but who knows. Since I haven’t been able to order that board, I’ve been looking into other alternatives. I’ve seen the PDMX site and their stuff looks impressive. I may just pull the trigger on that and go with the same set up as the new machines.

My mill was built without any sort of BOB, which I have never liked. There is no optoisolation. The control panel is packed full of neatly routed, unlabeled wiring. The cables from the two parallel ports are routed into the side of the panel and then split into individual wires that are routed all over the inside of the panel. Most of the connections are made through terminal strips. Unfortunately no wiring diagram was provided with the machine. I’ve run it this way for several years now without too many problems. But, I have had a couple issues with limit switches and their wiring. Each time it was a nightmare to diagnose and repair. I’m thinking now is the time to upgrade and rewire.

Any advice is appreciated.

You won't be disappointed in PMDX products. Steve also provides great support.

Quote Originally Posted by flathead View Post
    Ah, so you guys are using PDMX now. As I said earlier, I’ve been considering the CNC4PC board for the spindle, but they are currently out of stock. The website says they’ll be in stock this weekend, but who knows. Since I haven’t been able to order that board, I’ve been looking into other alternatives. I’ve seen the PDMX site and their stuff looks impressive. I may just pull the trigger on that and go with the same set up as the new machines.

My mill was built without any sort of BOB, which I have never liked. There is no optoisolation. The control panel is packed full of neatly routed, unlabeled wiring. The cables from the two parallel ports are routed into the side of the panel and then split into individual wires that are routed all over the inside of the panel. Most of the connections are made through terminal strips. Unfortunately no wiring diagram was provided with the machine. I’ve run it this way for several years now without too many problems. But, I have had a couple issues with limit switches and their wiring. Each time it was a nightmare to diagnose and repair. I’m thinking now is the time to upgrade and rewire.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Sounds familiar to what I have in my cabinet. What are you using for home/limit switches now?

Tyler

Tyler
    It has the same optical switches that IH still uses on their mills and in their kits now.

We have actually switched to a proximity sensor (far more reliable and less complicated than the optical limits).
    Unfortunately, I don't believe the prox sensors are compatible with the system you are describing.

Didn't realize the switches had changed. I'm sure that's a good thing. As I mentioned, I've had a couple failures with mine. Here's what mine look like:
    Attachment 219954

Do the new prox switches fit within the same housings? Or, would it be possible to upgrade with new housings and switches?

No housing required. The prox sensors mount on a simple bracket. As I mentioned, I don't believe they will work with the old system. Can you tell me a little more about your controls?

I would be a little cautious about mounting proximity switches on a metal cutting machine without some type of enclosure. The metal chips may false trigger the switches. I have enclosed my switches so protect from this. Working on marketing a set of switches with enclosures for this purpose.

I have bought (and am in the process of installing) the Campbell Design combo board and a VFD controller from Automation Design. I forget why I didn't go with PMDX, but it might have been simply because I was already dealing with Automation and Campbell on a different project.