586,096 active members*
3,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mogul CNC for plasma install help

I have a new CNC Mogul system that I want to use for plasma cutting purposes but I have no idea how to connect everything to work together. I have a

Ebay bought Accurate Tools plasma torch ATPC52: New 50 Amp Air Plasma Cutter DC Inverter 50A Cutting | eBay
    CNC Mogul system: CNC Mogul
    Proma Compact THC (torch height controller): Proffessional Compact CNC Plasma THC Controller Torch Height Control | eBay
    I use the Mach 3 program

Both the Mogul and the Plasma work seperately but I want to connect everything together. That's where I need your help. This is beyond my ability and I can't find anyone locally to do it. I'm located in Waterford, Michigan. If someone is local and could come by and hook this stuff up, I'd be more than happy to pay or if someone can write some specific directions would be fantastic...and I'd also pay. Tired of having this stuff sitting around collecting dust. I've already built the water table and use it for hand-held plasma cutting.

The plasma is one that has to touch the metal to generate an arc.

I'll need wiring info and program info. HELP! HELP! HELP! If you have a Kawasaki Concours 14, I'd be more than happy to supply you with parts in-exchange for help.

You probably don't want to hear this but...

1. You won't be able to use that plasma torch for automated cutting. well... not without a lot of work and special coding. Touching the metal to start an arc is not something easy to automate. It needs to be able to fire in the air (pilot arc) at a precise height above the metal.
    2. With no touch-off capability (floating torch holder, ohmic sensor , etc) you have no way to find the top of material. If you don't know where the top of the material is you can't figure out where to move to pierce and where to cut at. About all you can do is build a spring loaded Z and put the drag tip on that plasma and let it drag around and cut.
    3. You don't need a THC (even one that does work) on that setup.
    4. Just because the website says you can use it to build a plasma cutter does not mean you can build one that really works right.
    5. Plasma cutting is a very nasty dirty process and anything around the table is going to get gonked up with plasma dust which is conductive. Having the controls up on the gantry open to that environment will not work out well. The water from the table will blow up onto the gantry and electronics
    6. I see absolutely no data on speeds, type of linear drive or resolution.
    7 I have no idea how the PC with MACH is going to connect to the electronics and not have long cables that cry out for interference. Maybe you can strap it to the gantry too then run back and forth to see the monitor ??

That looks like a nice light duty router table (at least it is pretty) but then there are dozens of those around.

Duplicate