586,341 active members*
3,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New starter to CNC

Hello,
    I have started a basic course in operating a CNC Lathe last September but would be very obliged if I could have some advice on this subject. The lathe is I think a Harrison FANUC and my problem is basically operating the damn thing. Firstly how do you home the machine - my tutor says if the lathe is not quite at zero position, when trying to home it will not work. Apparently I have to move the lathe with a wheel, which I rotate with my hand, to more than 30 in the X and Z axis and then home it. Could I ask what is the procedure after this? Also can anyone recommend a book on dealing with the operation of the lathe. I have the Peter Smid book on programming but would like some information on the practical side of using this type of lathe. Thanks for any advice.

Simon

You won't be able to HOME the machine unless there are HOME switches mounted that go open/closed as appropriate once the home position is reached.

Once the machine is HOMED, it is like saying "start here" and the machine can be soft coded to know where it is starting from....

You'd be advised to find out which Fanuc controller you're working with and then contacting Fanuc for the appropriate programming manual.

Sadly, the machine tool builder determines the wiring logic and some of the "special" machine parameters.

Thus, unless you can get info from them somehow (good luck if they are out of business), you'll have to reverse engineer your machine to see how it is wired and figure things out from there.

If you get the Fanuc manuals, you'll have a head start.

BTW, if it is a 5T control, I have pristine OEM manuals and will copy them for reasonable copying cost plus freight/handling. The same manuals from machinemanuals.com are priced almost to equal their weight in gold...

delete

Thats me...
    Thus, unless you can get info from them somehow (good luck if they are out of business), you'll have to reverse engineer your machine to see how it is wired and figure things out from there.
    but long story short, i ended up getting the builders pc, and i THINK i have dxf's for my entire machine-from the body to the wires, how could i confirm this?

Proceed as follows:

1. Determine the Fanuc controller model and then try to get operating, progamming and interconnect manuals for it. Start by calling Fanuc.

2. Download the files you do have, print them out and start tracing down/verifying circuits....

Otherwise, find somebody who has an identical machine or someone who built it and get them to help. Effectively you have a picture puzzle - picture puzzles are impossible to solve by e-mail or message board exchanges.

You have to dig into the drawings and or operating/programming manuals and figure them out... Been doing that for several years now on my Fanuc 5T's.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_18
    Hello,
    The lathe is I think a Harrison FANUC and my problem is basically operating the damn thing. Firstly how do you home the machine - . Thanks for any advice.

Simon
    What Model Fanuc is it? I may be able to help with an operator manual, this will give you the basics for operating the control, for OEM M codes and machine specifics, as suggested, you will either have to obtain the Builders manual or 'reverse engineer'
    If you need that manual, send me a PM with email add.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.