586,096 active members*
3,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Using a chain saw when all I need is a scalpel? How much power is too much?

Using a chain saw when all I need is a scalpel? How much power is too much?

I am considering a laser purchase powered by either a 60w or 80w RECI tube. General engraving and cutting of 1/4", possibly up to 1/2", would consist of 75% of its usage. However, I would also require the ability to cut greeting card type stock if ever the need arose. My question is if a 60w or 80w laser can be dialed down low enough be able to deliver fine detail without burning on thin materials?

I've always believed in getting the most product for your budget so you have the ability to grow into something rather than going small to saving a bucks and only to have to buy again when you've quickly reached your performance limit. That philosophy has served me well but I'm not sure if this would be overkill.

Your thoughts and experiences would be most appreciated.

1/4 is about the realistic speedy limit for an 80 watt, 1/2inch is probably more than I would want to do unless the job can handle orders of slowwwwwww

To cut cardstock 80 watt is about the limit without pumping too much power into thin materials.

What you are looking for is two different jobs at opposite ends of the laser cutting spectrum.

best wishes

Dave

Reci lasers are not right solution for engraving.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Hi Dave-

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I know its not ideal but I'm trying to decide on the best wattage to allow for the most possible scenarios. Engraving will be its primary usage but since most of my freelance work will be done on stationary-type materials, its important that the results are perfect. Along those lines, do all lasers allow for or have an option to switch out lenses for different purposes? Would a shorter lens help a machine engrave/cut in finer detail? I was under the impression that the quality of detail was finding the optimum balance between laser strength and laser speed. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    Reci lasers are not right solution for engraving.
    Hi Cinematic2-

Thanks for responding. Would you mind elaborating? I was under the impression that RECI tubes were better made, had a longer life and performed better (kinda like your standard copper spark plugs vs. your platinum/iridium plug). But do you mean regular tubed lasers would engrave better??? Would love to hear from you. Thanks.

Of course. RECIs are good for cutting only.
    Remember. If you want to have good engraving effect do not exceed 60W. I mean -so called- chinese 60W :-)
    RECIs are powerfull but have long delay when starting what makes engraving VERY low quality.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    Of course. RECIs are good for cutting only.
    Remember. If you want to have good engraving effect do not exceed 60W. I mean -so called- chinese 60W :-)
    RECIs are powerfull but have long delay when starting what makes engraving VERY low quality.
    Thanks, Cinematic2. That is VERY good to know. I'm glad I didn't jump on the 80w RECI yet because the engraving will need to be of decent quality.