586,096 active members*
3,808 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What Laser Engaver Will Do This?

Hi everyone

I'm wondering what type of Laser Engraver will etch the actuators of these rocker switches?

The switches / actuators are manufactured by Carling Technologies - and the actuators are fabricated to be etched. They are plastic and have a spray coating which when etched reveals the translucent plastic through which the LED shines. An example is enclosed.

The actuators have a slight curve - and are not completely flat.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails etchedactuator.jpg  

Pretty much any laser will do it, it depends how fast you need it done really and what sort of budget you are looking at?

best wishes

Dave

Thanks Dave!

If I said no rush - and low budget would that help

It was for my personal use - I would like to make up some actuators for a project.

Would the slightly curved surface cause an issue - i.e. would the engraver require the ability to auto-focus?

Thanks again

The slightly curved surface shouldn't cause much of a problem. You would just pick a happy medium focus point and they should turn out fine for what you want to do. When you say low budget I assume you have looked at lasers and know that your gonna spend at least 3 to 4 K for a machine, maybe more . I would look at Rabbit Laser, Automation Technology laser, maybe Boss, and Thunder Laser also.

Hi again

Thanks for the reply!

Well I've spent the last two days reading & researching. I should have prefixed my question with a huge 'Newbie'!

I VERY naively thought there may be a small printer sized machine for engraving such small objects - but as I have discovered the smallest machines are quite large and require cooling equipment & space! I found many of the cheaper Chinese machines available - supposedly already in the UK (confirmed by the seller) such as

HIGH SPEED USB CO2 LASER ENGRAVING CUTTING MACHINE ENGRAVER MODERN TECHNIQUES r1 | eBay

But then I discovered the highly mixed opinions about the quality of the Chinese machines (generally bad at this price) - and the modifications / adjustments required to get them something like acceptable. Then there are the software issues - and requirement of a PC (I'm Mac based) etc etc etc. Wow - what a can of worms!!!

All in all - looking at the the cost implications and huge learning curve - and my naivety - I think I should thank you all for your time and gracefully bow out.

Thanks for your time

It was for my personal use - I would like to make up some actuators for a project.
    Quote Originally Posted by machineage;I'm sure you could have someone engrave these for you at a minimal cost. theres lots of guys right there in the UK that do engraving just ask here on the forum.
    Hi again

Thanks for the reply!

Well I've spent the last two days reading & researching. I should have prefixed my question with a huge 'Newbie'!

I VERY naively thought there may be a small printer sized machine for engraving such small objects - but as I have discovered the smallest machines are quite large and require cooling equipment & space! I found many of the cheaper Chinese machines available - supposedly already in the UK (confirmed by the seller) such as

HIGH SPEED USB CO2 LASER ENGRAVING CUTTING MACHINE ENGRAVER MODERN TECHNIQUES r1 | eBay

But then I discovered the highly mixed opinions about the quality of the Chinese machines (generally bad at this price) - and the modifications / adjustments required to get them something like acceptable. Then there are the software issues - and requirement of a PC (I'm Mac based) etc etc etc. Wow - what a can of worms!!!

All in all - looking at the the cost implications and huge learning curve - and my naivety - I think I should thank you all for your time and gracefully bow out.

Thanks for your time

A gantry type laser cutter/engraver is quite versatile BUT a galvo type machine would be much faster/arguably better for the task you have mentioned. If you don't wish to do anything else with it, I'd recommend it.

Example: Vytek CO2 Galvo laser cutting stencil - YouTube