586,674 active members*
3,382 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: desk cannon

desk cannon

This Is Just A Little Something Myself And The Guys From The Uss Emory S Land(AS-39) Made. We Are A Small Shop With About 20 Machinist And Capable Of Doing A Wide Range Of Jobs. If You Have Any Prints Of Fun Projects To Challenge Us Just Let Me Know. We Are Always Looking For A Good Challenge To Show Other People What We Are Capable Of Doing.

The Cannon Base Was Machined On Our Cnc Mill And All The Brass Work Was Machined On A Mannual Lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CANNON2.bmp  

Nice!

looks like another thread to be moved

moved? why?

thanks for the inputs so far.

it sounds like an advertisement thats why paul!

I think thats what stevie ment.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

exactly

I thought it sounded like they were just some swabies/rust-pickers - with some spare time looking for "off-duty" entertainment! You know keep 'em busy shipboard - so they don't get bored!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Emory_S._Land_(AS-39)

As I recall the story a few years back, during a cruise the carrier "Independence" machine/aircraft repair sqdn built a BD-5 Jet! All off-duty time.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

how bout building a larger scale potato cannon if your looking for a challenge , i know a guy with a golfball cannon which may be easier to build ,it uses lighter fluid

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap
    how bout building a larger scale potato cannon if your looking for a challenge , i know a guy with a golfball cannon which may be easier to build ,it uses lighter fluid
    How big is a large scale potato cannon.

sorry what i meant was a larger scale of the desk cannon posted to blast pototoes ,ive seen competitions on tv with them they were from 4' and up, the guys used propane to fire them off , i think for the most part they used pvc piping

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/5893/
    http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Ra...489/index.html
    http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/cannon/cannon.html

i did a little search to show you what i meant , when i saw them on tv i wanted to build one , and as time went on i forgot about it , i think i see a new hobby coming on ,and i m sure a few others will probably jump in after seeing some of these

Thank you High Seas, that is what I was trying to say, just looking for some fun things to machine in our spare time when we get bored and have nothing better to do then watch movies we have allready seen.

Boy I hear you. I am a former Chief FireControlman (Missiles). What a drop dead boring day you can have at sea or in port on a duty day, etc.

Love the cannon. Try a modern deck gun, maybe 76mm OTO-Melara like the FFG's carry. Add some servos/steppers to make it go round and move the barrel in elevation. The gunners mates might be able to help you on a design.

Everybody else here can help in the electronics. See Jane's Fighting Ships and several websites for Otot-Melara guns.

If not that, then maybe a Tartar missile (SM-2) in scale. Again, see Jane's Weapons, etc.

RipperSoftware
    (USS Constellation CV-64, USS Truxtun CGN-35, FCTCL Dam Neck Virginia)

Quote Originally Posted by rippersoft
    Try a modern deck gun,
    Try a Loose Cannon.....second thoughts, there may be enough here already
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

...Try a modern deck gun....Add some servos/steppers to make it go round and move the barrel in elevation...
    And hook it up over the net for remote control with a webcam and charge people a $100.00 donation to your favorite charity for a chance to blast some model ships out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof
    And hook it up over the net for remote control with a webcam and charge people a $100.00 donation to your favorite charity for a chance to blast some model ships out of the water.
    Hey that’s not a bad idea! There’s a hunting ranch doing the same thing only for the other big game, I think it was $1000-$1200.00 to bag a mule deer from your keyboard (not sure if that included field dressing, but depending on your aim and internet lag, that might not be an issue).

I believe they call that a predator drone. Webcam, remote control, missile firing, field dressing, all in one shot. If you add a 30mm can opener then you will truly have a sporting weapon that makes a 30-06 look like a cap gun.

I wonder if the Air Force would be willing to raffle off targets?

RipperSoftware

I believe they call that a predator drone. Webcam, remote control, missile firing, field dressing, all in one shot. If you add a 30mm can opener then you will truly have a sporting weapon that makes a 30-06 look like a cap gun.

I wonder if the Air Force would be willing to raffle off targets?

RipperSoftware
    Careful now! You’ll have someone at the Pentagon all twitchy at the thought of budget supplements that don’t have to go through congressional committees. Wait, they do that already don’t they?
    Anyway, think of the botched Texas bird hunt’s that would lead to, late night TV would have to triple their staff to cover all the stories.