586,635 active members*
3,092 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cut tissue paper?

Hi, I've been diecutting for a long time - sold a big business and started a small home hobby business. A few days ago my wife and I decided to buy a laser cutter because we were losing a lot of small jobs at the quoting stage due to having to get a cutting tool made. The tooling caused most small jobs to become unviable.

So I'm cutting my teeth on a small 50w laser cutter with roller engraver option. Unfortunately it should have been delivered yesterday, then it should have been delivered today, maybe it'll come tomorrow? Who knows!

Anyway, I quoting on a recent enquiry to cut 10mm dia and 38mm dia tissue confetti. I've quoted on my tradition diecutting techniques but am wondering if it is possible to laser cut this? There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on the internet if a laser cutter can cut tissue paper.

I was thinking of wadding about 25 to 50 sheets together and cutting them maybe with a perforation or two along the cut edge so the circles stay in place and I can then just push them out into a box later. I've also thought of cutting a template out of 3-5mm thick plastic with the holes in the template a millimetre or two bigger diameter than I need. Then I can lay the plastic on top of the tissue to hold it all down compactly while the laser cuts the tissue through the holes in the plastic. Not sure if this step will be needed or if I can just cut the tissue without anything sitting on top. I'm worried that the paper is so thin I may start a fire? but with plastic on top weighing it down it should cut like any other substrate.

Anyone ever cut tissue or got any thoughts on my methodologies?

Cheers Mike.

PS can't wait to get the machine and start "playing!"

That is a tough one... I do a lot of laser cutting with my 100 watt laser, I have cut many material and one of them was cardboard. I think as long as it's thick and you have a tight beam it may cut without catching fire? You may need to use CO air spray to keep it from igniting. It;s the density that is the issue, less dense like tissue the easier it's gonna go up in flames. In the video you see HIGH speed very tight kerf is the best way to cut.

minitype laser cutting machine (The paper templated of Christmas designs cutting) - YouTube

Thanks Paul
    Appreciate your input. If I ever get my machine I'll let you know how I go with my experiments!

Toll Ipec received it in their Melbourne depot last week and organised to deliver it to me on Monday. Still no sign of it 2 days later, and no communication from them even after I lodged an inquiry and they promised to investigate and get back to me. Hope the wait is worth it.

Packing multiple layers is likely going to end in scorching or a fire Mark,
    Gas gets liberated between the layers and causes flame ups. CO2 gas as a support to prevent flaming will also block the beam to some extent causing erratic results. (a micro greenhouse effect)

A laser (gantry type) is the wrong machine for cutting fine materials like tissue paper,they are too slow and generate high temperatures even at low power, a Galvo laser will do it but costs considerably more.

cheers

Dave