586,036 active members*
4,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question USA made or Chinese made Laser, that is the question.

I am planning to buy a Co2 laser soon for an established manufacturing business, and have been researching and learning about them. Marking anodized aluminum will be one of the main uses. The volume of the aluminum parts for now will be only 10,000 pieces or less per month, but we would want to run them in a short time when we do run them. The marking would lean toward the small and detailed side, so accuracy, resolution, and speed are factors that are important.

We own USA and Japanese made full size CNC machines (industrial quality versus “hobby” machines), and although the price of the Chinese laser machines seems attractive in price compared to the USA Epilogue or Universal machines I have to wonder about the quality being suitable for a production machine. Quality and appearance of the engraving is a big concern, as well as up time. Price is important, but not if quality and reliability have to be sacrificed too much.

We will be using dedicated fixtures where we would run about 150-200 pieces at a time in a 24”x12” work envelope, so the machine and related software would have to easily allow that. I am not sure if that aspect is pretty equal between machines or not. I have not necessarily chosen the 24” x 12” size either, that was just an example. I have noticed That the Epilog Fusion has a front door, and some of the Chinese models do to, and that would facilitate exchanging fixtures that are loaded with parts.

We will be finding other uses for the machine as well that would include other engraving/marking jobs and cutting. At some point I would expect the machine to be working fairly steady, so the machine will need to be of industrial quality. Without having the benefit of seeing and using the machines in person my gut feeling is the USA machines are probably my best choice. I would still like some input from users if I can get it.
    Does anyone here have experience with both Chinese and USA lasers, and if so would you share your opinions about the two choices ?

Is there a significant difference in quality and reliability of the machines?

Is there a significant difference in the quality of engraving and cutting?

Is the Chinese software comparable to Epilog’s or Universal’s?

For speed of engraving you may want to check out Trotec lasers. They are expensive but very fast engraving.

Dave, thanks for the link. I am up for reading all I can on the subject.

Fixtureman, Thanks. I did some reading and research about them last night and it seems that they might be a very good candidate.

Trotec lasers start at $10k.

if you join the Sawmill creek forum you can receive a discount from Trotec