586,119 active members*
3,564 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Changing object dimension

Changing object dimension

Hello, I have a need to select and change all objects that have a certain dimension. For example, I have several 0.75" deep extruded curves and need to change them all to be 0.65" deep. I can change the objects individually but that would take a long time.

So, is there anything in Rhino that would allow me to select all 0.75" dimensions and change them to 0.65"?

Thanks,
    JR

No. Rhino is not parametric.

However, since you will need to change them individually, look at some of the new bonus tools, such as MoveSide or the old Scale1D.

In V4, depending on how the model was constructed, there are other tools, such as Stretch, or even the new associativity of curves and surfaces, that could help.

Can you post a section of your model, or a jpg of the areas you need to change. Maybe seeing the problem will trigger a few more ideas.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hey Dan, thanks for the quick reply. Below's the Rhino 3.0 file and a pic. Scale1D is what I was planning to use individually as it has worked in the past.

I imagined it would possible to script a select of all objects with dim=0.75" and then Scale1D them to 0.65". However I'm not seeing a way for that kind of object selection.

Thanks!
    JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails edge.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi JR,

I copied your extrusion a few times, and tried the MoveSide command on all the faces (@ .75") at once. I then typed in .1 and moved all the faces in one shot. It looks like this is the way to go.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hey Dan,

I might be doing something wrong but what I get is a move of the object from one location to another. What I need is to change the size. What did I miss?

JR

You need to use MoveSide, not Move. What version of Rhino are you using? MoveSide appeared as a bonus tool, but has been incorporated into the latest service releases (SR4 and SR5).

Dan

Yep used MoveSide. I'm on R3.0 SP5 + bonus tools. The documentation on MoveSide is very limited and I can't get their online example to show how it works. I'll keep trying.

Thanks!
    JR