586,096 active members*
3,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > DeskProto/Mach3 - Setup Question

DeskProto/Mach3 - Setup Question

I'm trying to mill my first part.

I'm having a difficult time trying to center the area properly.

I don't know if this is a DeskProto issue or Mach3, or perhaps both.

Attached are pics from DeskProto, Mach3, and the Taig DSLS mill.

Also, Mach3 says that the mill time is about 25 minutes, which seems a bit long to me.

Any suggestions?

Greg

Hi Greg,

Not sure what you mean with "center the area".
    Positioning of the part on your machine is done using the WorkPiece zero point.
    On the DeskProto screen this is shown as the blue cube: currently on the left-front-top corner of the block.
    You can change that position on the Translate tab of the Part parameters (not in the Entry edition).
    In Mach 3 you also need to set a position for that WP zero point.
    Only then the machine knows where to execute the toolpaths generated by DeskProto.

Lex.

Thanks Lex.

What I meant by "center the area" is the having the mill bit at a good origin to begin the work with respect to the object to be milled. From where it is now (too far to one side) is not a good place to start.

Your comments make me understand that this is something that I can resolve in Mach3, so I'll re-post the question over there.

Sometimes I wish I had a virtual helper to guide me from start to finish!

Greg

Usually you'd decide where the workpiece (stock) zero was when making the original CAD model. By default, most CAM programs follow the CAD coordinates. In DeskProto you can change that, using the Translate function Lex mentioned. It looks like your part zero is on the front left top corner, which is not a bad place to start. The trick is in making the part fit into the workpiece. If you want to cut all the way around the part, you'd leave some margin for that, so there would be some stock to cut away.

What strikes me about the part you've laid out is that there's no way to hold onto it. If you're cutting all the way around the part like that, you'd cut away any clamps or vise jaws that were holding it in place. I suppose it's possible to hold onto it from underneath with blind screws, double-stick tape or something, but if you want to hold it down by normal means, it's best to leave some extra material on the edges to clamp to, and have some supports that connect that with the part, so it's not cut loose and damaged at the end of the program.

We're your virtual helpers, Greg - if you get stuck. just ask a question. There's also a forum on the DeskProto site, and one on Machsupport.com.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com