586,100 active members*
2,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Engraving on The Tormach PCNC

Engraving on The Tormach PCNC

Here is a photo of some engraving work I did recently using my Tormach PCNC. The numbers are 0.080" high. The workpiece is a low carbon steel dial (3" diameter) on a tool and cutter grinder.

Regards
    Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scale engraving 5.JPG  

OMG that looks good. Nice Work!

Wow, that looks great. How did you colour the numbers and lines?

Clean with a degreaser and toothbrush.
    Carefully wipe on some black paint with a cloth.
    Gently wipe of the excess paint with a piece of paper held flat with a finger (not a cloth).
    Wipe off more vigorously when semi-dry.

I just noticed that not all the divisions look evenly spaced. This must be a camera issue as under a magnifying class all the divisions look perfectly uniform.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat
    Wow, that looks great. How did you colour the numbers and lines?

Great Work Phil. How long did it take to run this part?

Looks real nice. Did you have to de-burr the part? JRouche
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

No deburring was necessary.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche
    Looks real nice. Did you have to de-burr the part? JRouche

Very nice, what kind of cutting tool/speed did you use?

I used a 60 degree carbide engraving cutter with a 0.2mm (.080”) tip. RPM was 4,500 (max for the machine). Feed rate was 18 mmpm (0.75”/min), real slow. Depth of cut was 0.13 mm (.050”). This cutter was probably a little to course for the divisions, which had a center line spacing of only 0.65 mm (0.025"). Possibly a 30 degree cutter would have been better, but a bit more fragile also. They are not cheap to buy and it's all to easy to break the tip, hence the slow feed rate. I use kerosene with 15% way oil as a coolant, applied with a paint brush.

I used the rotary table (A-axis) to index to the centreline of each individual number and then used the x and y axis (which have zero backlash ball-screws) to engrave the number itself. This avoided the issue of backlash in the worm gear as it was always rotating in the same direction. As the dial was of a relatively large diameter 75 mm (3”) there is no visual indication that each number was produced in the flat x/y plane on a curved surface. A scale CAD drawing of the divisions and numbers allowed me to read the necessary angular indexing for each number directly off the division scale. I had a couple of practice runs on a blank before committing to the actual work-piece. Just as well as the g code for my first attempt put the numbers all over the place.

It took something like 80 mins for the divisions and 20 mins for the numbers. That’s after about 3 days of planning, so I’m not ready to go commercial just yet.

Attached is a photo as it came off the machine.

Regards
    Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rotating base engraving.JPG  

Heres the 2nd attempt at a test piece.

Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test piece 2nd attempt.JPG  

Gonna be mass producing Qorn cutters?

Nice work!

BW

You guessed it. The ball handles give it away. I think there are something like 18 of them. Here's a photo of it in its unfinished state from a few years back.

I tried stamping the numbers but I've never been very good at blacksmithing. So it was perfect justification, at least to me, to buy a 4-axis CNC mill. Do I here a lot of people nodding in agreement, problem is only one of them lives in this house. Don't you just love it when the only logical course of action is to buy a new machine tool? You only have to keep reminding myself, this is not a rehearsal then the decision is easy.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield
    Gonna be mass producing Qorn cutters?

Nice work!

BW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quorn.JPG  

The Qorn cutter is somehow strangely beguiling. Anything that looks that complicated must be very cool, and you have to love all the ball handles. Opinions seem to vary on how useful they are, but you can't get past the idea that they're just great looking gadgets. Being able to say you built the thing only adds to that allure. Tell the wife it's a really important way to save money by resharpening old cutters (I know, mine isn't that gullible either, darn it!).

Now Phil, you have a chance to take it to the next step and be the first one on your block to own a CNC-'d Qorn cutter!

:cheers:

BW

Beautiful job!

Talking what software did you use?

Hi,
    I also have a Tormach and was wondering what software you use to do the engrave work. I have used Mach 2 and Mach 3 write wizard but I would like to do more than one line at a time for data plates etc. without spending big bucks. You do nice work by the way.......
    Exotic Welder