586,103 active members*
3,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Another effort, 2 cylinder inline water cooled
Page 9 of 11 7891011
    I read this whole thread tonight. Simply amazing. I wish I had the software and machining skill to build something like this. I was hoping to see a running machine by the time I hit page 11.... still, simply amazing. I love the idea and would love to do something like this.

Can I ask this? Why are you not making double the parts? I know there is alot of time involved. But I would have made double the parts. Spare parts....... Or... simply send a whole working engine to someone in OKLAHOMA (OHHH PICK ME!!! PICK ME!!!!) Looks fantastic, i would love to see and hear this thing run on video sometime in the near future. No preassure or anything

The project is a large one even at 1X the parts. I took three whole evenings to get my 4 valves and seats made. Doubling up the engine could make it overwhelming.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

but if you doubled up on the parts, then I could have one..... see how that works?!?!?!?!?! very nice work, I hope you continue the progress on this.

Quote Originally Posted by balsaman View Post
    The project is a large one even at 1X the parts. I took three whole evenings to get my 4 valves and seats made. Doubling up the engine could make it overwhelming.

Eric

Try 16!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0601.JPG  

steve, just from a machined part side of things, that is just beautiful. I wish I had the skill.

Hell i would love to find something really simple to machine on my little mill that would run.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixittt View Post
    steve, just from a machined part side of things, that is just beautiful. I wish I had the skill.

Hell i would love to find something really simple to machine on my little mill that would run.

Thank you! Here is what i have so far.
    http://forum.bugattibuilder.com/phot...s.php?album=27

There are plenty of single cylinder plans out there. Start cutting. Until 6 month ago i had no idea what i was doing. Every time i make a part i learn something new. Bought the machines in April and started the engine in june

Try the wobbler. It's a small steam engine that can be run on compressed air. Plans are around for free.

Steve that is simply beautiful! So umm... when your done... can i have it? LOLOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Fixittt View Post
    Steve that is simply beautiful! So umm... when your done... can i have it? LOLOLOL

You can have a copy of the plans that are half done.

Hi fixittt.

I agree with Steve, the first thing to make is a wobbler. I have made quite a few of these, just recently got my workshop back up and running after several years of inactivity so am designing / making one now. It's a very simple engine and I'm about half way through it so when it's finished and tested I'll post the plans up on here in the Steam engine section if you like, see what you think. There are modifications you could make to make it even simpler as long as the critical dimensions are kept.

Nick

Eric
    Correction. That should read "Doubling up the engine could make it overwhelming for me"...

Well, a new job and an addition on my home later and I am back at this project.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2cyl 006.jpg  

Nice work! Keep the photo's coming!!

looking good Eric, I've started on my hot air engine too but forgot to take photos from the start but suppose I could show what i've done so far!

Last night I assembled the engine block with crank, rods and pistons, oiled it up and cranked it over on the lathe for a bit to loosen it up a little.

I still need to make:

Intake manifold
    Valve keepers
    lifters
    pushrods
    flywheel
    Fuel tank

Carb is from an OS .35 glow engine for now.

I also need to dream up some sort of ignition system. I will research an electronic ignition of some sort.

E

I also need to dream up some sort of ignition system. I will research an electronic ignition of some sort.

E

I designed this one that i did build and make sparks with. I intend to use it for my straight 8 by puting 4 magnets in the flywheel to make a spark every 90 Degrees. It will work with a standard automotive coil. I used a coil from a 66 caddy. One thing i did not try yet is changing the location of the magnet from the centerline of the crankshaft. Im thinking that will affect the dwell. If you make a distributor, changing the shape of the rotor vain cutouts will do the same thing.

Picture 1 shows the test distributor i made. It is 1" in diameter

Picture 2 shows the hall sensor mounted in the distributor.

Picture 3 shows the circuit under test.

Picture 4 shows the plugs that i tested with.

Picture 5 is the circuit.

Picture 6 is the rotor vain and magnet mount.

Picture 7 and 8 are the final distributors, rotor and cap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0244.JPG   DSCN0232.JPG   DSCN0246.JPG   DSCN0275.JPG  

Ignition1.JPG   DSCN0245.JPG   DSCN0765.JPG   DSCN0766.JPG  

Nice, thanks for that.

Here is the model of the intake manifold...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2cyl 007.jpg  

Actual intake manifold. Pretty tricky part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2cyl 008.jpg  

Getting there....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2cyl10.jpg   2cyl9.jpg  

Looks Great! Keep up the good work.

Page 9 of 11 7891011