586,094 active members*
4,110 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Another effort, 2 cylinder inline water cooled
Page 10 of 11 891011
    WOW! That's looking great! Can't wait to see the AVI of it running!

Balsaman, soo many times I wanted to pm you about it, to see if you were back on the build. how big is the engine?

I hope to build something like this myself soon.

Speedy, the block is 4" long. One of the pics shows a quarter in there somewhere.

E
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Nice!

Have you seen the Bob Shores "Hercules" twin? I used that as a starting point and did this one (only the block and cam cover are basically per the original design)... I got fussy about doing the crank and cam, so haven't finished it. I had a lot of fun with the pistons which I made as modern/full race as I could (shown sitting on a dime). I almost hate to admit it, but no CNC here. Somehow it seems like cheating to use it for this sort of project. I want a cam/crank grinder, but don't really want to build one, so kinda stalled out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Herc.jpg   Herc Final Assembly2.jpg   My Jan02 Piston design.jpg  

Oh Snap! Getting closer.

Quote Originally Posted by balsaman View Post
    Oh Snap! Getting closer.
    Thats really cute! Nice work

Sweeeeet

Update please! your killing me Balsaman
    do I have to make a small roadtrip to see it myself?

Trying to get the damn ignition system to go! Tried a hall effect. Worked for a bit then died (before I could get the engine running). Going to plain old points now. Hang on, won't be long.

Eric

Hmmm. It won't quite run. It's trying. I get that fantastic colman fuel aroma and it fires once in a while. I think the carb is too large (it's off a os .035). I might make a new carb before I try again.

E

Can a carb realy be to large? close it off little?

it sound nice when it fires
    I hope you get it sorted out. cant wait to hear it!!!

Cool stuff

Did you do a compression test with a gauge? I have only read a few posts on this thread but somewhere I read something about compression. Cam timing plays a big role in the dynamic compression. A compression test may shed some light on the matter. Or at least rule out some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygonzales View Post
    Can a carb realy be to large? close it off little?

it sound nice when it fires
    I hope you get it sorted out. cant wait to hear it!!!
    If the bore is too large fuel draw can be a problem.

E

update! is she running?

Have not tried again. Decided to take a break. I will remove the head and check the valves. I may make a gauge to check compression. I know at least one cylinder is leaking by somewhere (probably the valves). When it was trying to run it seemed like it was only hitting on one cyclinder. It's really hard to tell. After I take a break I will try again when I feel like it.

E

For an alternative for a con rod, depending on the length, if you 'borrow' the con rod from a Honda C70/90 type engine, they are a muchly tuned engine type from Japan as they are ysed in Monkey / Pitbike / many many other applications and there are many tuning options, btu that said coming back to the point, it is a one piece con rod. but that then would mean that you'd have to go with a pressed together crank instead of a one piece cut from billet... Which present problems for assembly / balancing, making sure it was true

its all tradde and offet decisions, but to clear up the point made above, this is what was recommended and the impact on your design, should you choose to move from one piece crank to two piece

For what its worth

J

Nice work, Keep us Posted! Run Baby Run!

Hi Eric, your engine is looking great and am sure it's only a matter of tinkering with settings and sorting out any leaks before it runs.

If it's any consolation, my far far less complicated stirling won't run either and probably won't unless I make a boat load of new parts!

hello very nice engine. Scatch build or from plans if from plans where do i get them. Problemly over my head but that don't stop me. thanks art

Eric, update! something please hehe.

Page 10 of 11 891011