586,103 active members*
3,205 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > New Fadal owner. Need help with communications.

New Fadal owner. Need help with communications.

I’m new to Fadal and recently picked up a 1993 Fadal 3016, 88HS. I’m trying to transfer a file to the VMC but so far no luck.
    I’m using Win XP from a PC, Logitech usb to serial and a DB25 cable from Fadalcnc that is 25’ long.
    So far I’ve had successful COM port loopback tests from the VMC and computer. I’ve run the same loopback tests through the DB25 cable from the VMC and computer. But, when I connect the cable to the VMC and try to send a file I get nothing at the VMC.
    I’ve run the diagnostics test on the 1030 card and it was good.
    My settings are parity even, data bits 7, and stop bits 1.
    SETP says my baud is 4800.
    So I enter:
    CD,7
    TA,1
    Send from software. File name is test1.nc
    And, I get no response whatsoever from the VMC.
    I’ve tried several different programs including: Fadalcnc-dnc, NClink, and NCFadal. Software error message indicates there is no communication with the VMC.
    I appreciate any help you can give me.

My fadals baud rate is set to 9600 for communications through the rs232 port.
    Jst yesterday a usb was installed on two machines. The baud rate is a higher setting Im not sure exactly what the setting is bc i'm not at the machine.
    I would try cd,8 or cd,10 to see what happens.

Fadal is still supported give them a call. I think you should change the stop bits to 2 and the baud rate to at least 9600. Another thing to try is to send a file from the control to the pc and see if that will do anything.

Get the baud rate is high as you can. New comps dont like slow baud.
    I run (is it) 37.4k on my '94.
    I can pretty well guarentee that you are having trouble with the usb - serial device
    set your baud rate directly in parameters and you never need to type "cd" - ever. A power down restart is required for the baud to take effect.
    NCFadal is hands down CATSASS. Never have to type anything, it runs automatically from the computer as long as the control is in command mode.
    settings are 7,1, even, xon/xoff
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Thanks for the ideas. So far no luck. I can't even get an error message to indicate the computer and VMC are aware of each other. Darebee, would you still think its a usb-serial issue if I'm getting a good loopback from the usb-serial? It does feel like a cable issue since I'm not getting any type of response from the VMC. Are there any parameters in the control that could have been changed by a previous owner?

Maybe the port on the Fadal is fried?

I got a good loopback test at the Fadal's port and the 1030 card passed as well.

There are many possibilities.
    I used a USB unit for a few years. I was able to get it to send (batch) using Hyperterminal.
    It DID NOT communicate properly.
    Once I installed a legacy card I never had another issue and NCFadal rocks for our machine.

This has been discussed MANY times over the years

I managed to send the majority of a file today. Just for kicks I put a male/female loopback tester between the cables and the file sent. I assume the adapter to db25 corrected some pinout problem. Unfortunately I only get about 1300 lines of code. So, on to the next obstacle :-)

Good news.
    How much mem is in yours?
    I assume it is a -4 series control?