586,103 active members*
3,146 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Space Constraints

Like many, I have a limited amount of space to work with. I am trying to find a way to fit a router into my shop. One of my potential solutions is to replace my table saw outfeed table with the router. I would plan to build the router table lower than my table saw, so I could place a false table top over the router. I would park the gantry at the far end thus giving room during ripping of stock.
    I would plan for the bridge of the gantry to allow long stock (8' or longer) to slide underneath during long rips. In cross cut of sheet goods, the table size (48 X 48 minimum, considering 48 X 96) will accomodate.

Thoughts?

Dale

Hi Dale

I am currently working on a design for a machine to fit into my wood shop. I think you are on the right track with your thought process. The only thing that I would add is don't forget that the steppers will likely stick out. This is the current sticking point that I am trying to resolve in my design thread

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy_cn...ml#post1427858

Quote Originally Posted by tinygiants View Post
    Like many, I have a limited amount of space to work with. I am trying to find a way to fit a router into my shop. One of my potential solutions is to replace my table saw outfeed table with the router. I would plan to build the router table lower than my table saw, so I could place a false table top over the router. I would park the gantry at the far end thus giving room during ripping of stock.
    I would plan for the bridge of the gantry to allow long stock (8' or longer) to slide underneath during long rips. In cross cut of sheet goods, the table size (48 X 48 minimum, considering 48 X 96) will accomodate.

Thoughts?

Dale
    It would depend how wide a board you cut (4 x 8 sheet goods?) and how long you make the table... otherwise one of the gantry uprights can get in the way, creating an unsafe condition.

Thank You for the feedback.

I am thinking of building the CNCRouterParts machine. I would plan to park the gantry at the end farthest from the table saw. My table saw has an attached 18" outfeed on it already. Adding the length of the router table it will be almost 10' away if I build a 96" unit. I can see a conflict in ripping sheet goods if I build the 48" unit though. Thanks helpiong me see that. I failed to think about a sheet rip as I had determined any board rips would clear the gantry.

I would hate to compromise access to my machine by combining it with other equipment. Something has to give.
    I had similar problems squeezing the machine into my garage but put all equipment on casters so I can move stuff around or out of the garage if need be.
    If you are really walled-in you may consider a kind of tilt-bed design (like a ping-pong table) that helps storing it out of the way. Would need a solid torsion box, though.

As for steppers sticking out, that does not need to happen. Since you have to space the linear bearings out, the actual stroke of the x and y axis will anyway be less than the length of the linear rails. You can use that distance to place the steppers. On my machine everything is tucked away and no steppers are even visible.
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

you could always use a 48x96 machine or even a 48x48 to rip 4x8 sheets of plywood in the 48in direction. or the 96in on the 48x96.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    I would hate to compromise access to my machine by combining it with other equipment. Something has to give.
    I appreciate the perspective.

My plan would have access to 3 sides. The fourth side would be accessible by moving the router or the table saw. The table saw is on a rolling base. I plan to make the router on a movable base that has jacking legs for purpose of leveling and disengagement of the wheels.

The idea of a folding table top is intriguing. Are there any builds you can point me to? I will start searching that idea.

He was referring to the tilt-bed style routers. They don't fold, but just lean up against a wall, and cut with the stock at that angle. It can save a lot of space, but there are issues like stock hold-down, securing parts that get cut free, redressing the weight of the Y-axis with a counterweight etc. They're not terribly common, and making a rigid structure is not as straightforward as with a flat table.

Luke
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Quote Originally Posted by JerryBurks View Post
    I agree. It is very difficult to work in a restricted space.
    For Machinery Relocation, trust only Hanlon & Wright