586,089 active members*
3,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How do I wire a touch plate for the 2010 Screenset?

I have a G540 controller with an ethernet Smoothstepper. I also have an external box that plugs into my controller that had plugs for my home switches, and has a probe jack. My question is can I plug the touch plate into my probe jack, and how would I wire the touch plate? My probe jack is Port 1, Pin 13.

Also, from reading the threads, I can wire together the movable plate, and the permanent plate? Do I run a wire from the plates to Pin 13, and a separate wire to ground? Would I need to use a alligator clip if my machine is grounded?

Any help is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
    I have a G540 controller with an ethernet Smoothstepper. I also have an external box that plugs into my controller that had plugs for my home switches, and has a probe jack. My question is can I plug the touch plate into my probe jack, and how would I wire the touch plate? My probe jack is Port 1, Pin 13.

Also, from reading the threads, I can wire together the movable plate, and the permanent plate? Do I run a wire from the plates to Pin 13, and a separate wire to ground? Would I need to use a alligator clip if my machine is grounded?

Any help is much appreciated.
    Yes, you can use the probe jack and both the movable and fixed plate attach same input.
    Your machine will need to be grounded. If ground carries through the cutter then you do not need an alligator clip attached to the cutter.

Also if not already setup, ports and pins will need to be setup for the probe. Once wired you can touch movable plate to cutter manually and see if the probe light on the screen lights up.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I’ll give it a try today.
    I appreciate your help.

Couldn’t get my probe port to work. I don’t think it’s wired correctly. I ended up using the 2nd parallel port on the controller to wire the probe, and touch plates. My question is can I use input 1 port 2 pin 15 for the touch plate, and digitize port 2 pin 13 for the probe or do they both have to be routed through the digitize input?

I don't know if the Smoothstepper works differently, but normally both the probe and autozero need to both use the probe input.

I posted a Brain on the Machsupport forum that should let the autozero work when wired to input #1, but I don't know if it will work with the smoothstepper.
    Mach3 2010 Screenset - Now available
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Got it. I’ll give it a try tomorrow, and let you know.

Thanks!!