586,119 active members*
3,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > .5 Carbide endmill tool life

.5 Carbide endmill tool life

Ok guys I have a research paper I am doing and the issue is - The tool life of a .5" carbide endmill used in 303 SS with the correct feed, speed and depth of cut at a cut lenght of 6 inches will produce X amount of parts. End mill is a Solid Carbide 1/2", 1/2" shank, 1" LOC, and 3" OAL, 4 Flute CC, uncoated.

I have to gather information on Feed,Speed,Depth of cut, number of possible parts that can be run using these combinations on 303 SS making a 6 inch cut. Material size 1"H,3"W,6"L . The total depth of cut will be .25" facing the entire 3x6 area of the part in the z-axis ( Obsurd I know but it does make for a simple explanation). Flood coolant and a solid vise are also applied.
    This is a basic run, Spindle HP and ridgidity will not be a part of the equation. Yes, I know it matters but for the sake of the paper I will simplify it.

I have to get outside info on this so I thought to myself, where to find a better group of professionals that could help. My choice "CNC Zone" .

Thanks for the help.

I have to gather information on Feed,Speed,Depth of cut
    The cutting speed for carbide end mill on stainless steel (roughing) is 50m/min (Use http://www.mitsubishicarbide.com/mmc...tanikansan.htm like unit converter)
    The feed per tooth is 0.001575 " (. I hope that the unit converter is correct).
    Concerning the cutting depth and number of part, it's impossible to give a value.

- The cutting depth: It depend of the tool geometry. If your end mill well designed for roughing of stainless steel, you can go until 0.3-0.5". If you use a low depth of cut, don't hesitate to increase your cutting speed.

Concerning the tool life, it depends of
    - carbide manufacturer. Between two carbide manufacturer, you can have a very strong difference.
    - tool geometry
    - machine,spindle,collet,... rigidity

There is no carbide tool manufacturer, which give this value because it depends of a lot unknown parameters.

This is what I was running last week using a z-carb HP end mill I can copy maf. data sheet Tues. and post if you need it
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would never think for 1 second to do that job without a TiAln coated cutter.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee
    I would never think for 1 second to do that job without a TiAln coated cutter.
    Of course !!! our internal tests show an improvement of 3-4x concerning the tool life duration.

I have never done any studies but I would say at least that much longer life.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I appreciate all of the input. I will be putting some of this in my paper. It is due tonight at midnight so I have alot of work to get done. Thanks again.