586,108 active members*
3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 3016 Box way, .025 difference in Z from opposing corners!!!

3016 Box way, .025 difference in Z from opposing corners!!!

Ive got a 1998 my 3016 Box way machine. Just installed. I noticed that on small facemilling cut amounts weren't cleaning up across part. I touched off the same tool at all four corners of travel and found .025 difference at opposite corners. With the back right being low.

I checked Level and found it was out pretty bad, and re-leveled. but problem did not go away! Can the Gibbs need adjustment? Or turcite be wore Off?

Kris In Michigan

Sounds like someone replaced the spindle cartridge incorrectly. It was common to shim them into tram.

Did you level the table or the y-axis ways?

A few year ago one of my machines was having the same problem. .010 drop in the y axis.
    First make sure all of the oilers are working. remove the way covers and look at the ways.
    second adjust the gibbs.they are normally set using a feeler guage to prevent over tightening.
    next level the mach...place the level of the y axis ways. level each side then use a parallel to span both ways and then level to each other.
    The table can now be checked with an indicator in the spindle. Jog the table around if it is good, tram the spindle to the table.
    If the table isnt level the trucite is likely worn.
    if you wish to cut the table...first set a surface plate on jacks and with an indicator in the spindle jog the table around and level the surface plate.
    Now tram the spindle to the surface plate as it is level with the ways.
    That is the procedure my fadal dealer/repair uses.

I leveled on the table itself. Not the ways. Good Thinking!!!!

I guess ill have to pull the way covers and inspect. My local service center wants $4000. And that's without any parts at all.

What kind of adjustments are in the spindle for Tram?

In those days some pretty elaborate shims came out of the factory. If you put it back in 180 degrees out it would have double negative effect. I was a factory trained repairman in the day. There are alot of free lance Fadal guys around, they should be charging around 70$ per hour.

Shimming the spindle is not hard.
    Before loosening fasteners clean the area around the mount area well.
    If I can get within .0002 on 10 dia circle the blend will perfect on a 4 in cutter.

4 grand sound like a complete PM. Which should include inspecting ballscrews, bearings,draw bar, spindle cooler,balancing the servos, setting backlash ect.

It sounds like a turcite problem not spindle tram to me.
    If you jog a indicator around the table and one corner is low, the turcite has been damaged and worn away allowing the table to sink.

The table would need to be removed and new turcite bonded in and re-cut. I know Wesco in Chatsworth, CA has the tooling to re turcite
    the Fadal mills.