586,103 active members*
3,405 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Pushin' ML22

Pushin' ML22

I have a '05 Milltronics ML22 long bed. At first I was disappointed w/ the machine, but now we have become friends. I'm running some fast moving 6061-T6 aluminium rollers w/ a series of angled, straight grooves. Rpm (2,000 limit) Limits me, But by programming in G-code, and using single station tool indexes, I was able to trim the fat off that conversational programming gives me. Pushing .025 ipr for rough, finishing @ .015 w/creative tool grinding gives me a pretty part. My problem is Milltronics is dragging there heels on telling how to take the spindle stop out of the tool change. I spend as much time during accel/decel of the spindle as cutting. I think it has to do w/ the feed hold and spindle check back loop. Any body getting more out of there ML's than normal?

What are you using the tool change for?! If you're doing what I think you're doing, it's a simple fix... Please elaborate on your question and what exactly you would like the machine to do? It's a lot easier to help if you can tell us exactly what you want to do along with what you are currently doing~

C
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

Ooops, didn't realize this was a lathe question at first... lol, my bad~ Might still be able to help though, I run a Mori Seiki lathe all the time too~
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

Hey C
    Thanks for reminding me (your name) how much I miss my 5.Never should have sold it! Anyway, in conversational prog. tool changes (M6) brings the X axis out to home position,..starts to index,.. turns spindle off,.. procedes indexing after the spindle stops,....takes 5 seconds for tool verify/turret check back, then goes on with the program. I trimmed most of the waisted time/movement by writing the prog. in G-code; pulling back min. amount to clear,.. then M21(T-CW), M22(T-CCW). Caution to this is you take the tool verify/turret check back out of the loop, so an operator can get into trouble when starting in mid prog. cause the tool # and offset won't match.
    EXample: Tool 3 to 7; I want the spindle to stay on. 30 second part w/4 tools decel/accel takes as lond as cutting. Thanks M
    G0X4.
    M21
    M21
    M21T0707 (must call offset)
    G96S600M3
    G0 X--- Z.05

There is a wire going from terminal block 50 to terminal 7 on the pc-inv-01 inverterboard that can be removed what this is doing is puting the machine in feed hold when the turret is not locked. This wire has been elmintated on new machines. Who were you talking to at Milltronics? Also the tool change macro has been changed to speed it up some.

Mark

Thanks Mark, Now thats more like it. I was talking to Todd @ Milltronics. Turned out he was on vacation, plus my e-mail was sent to the wrong person over there, then Todd found it by accident, or something. But he did get back to me, and followed up. I've been pleased with his service the most.
    Thanks,
    Murphy