586,104 active members*
3,351 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Anyone runing ~2,600 oz steppers?

Anyone runing ~2,600 oz steppers?

I would like some feedback if you are runing big steppers over 2,000 oz range. If you like how they perform or don't like? This can be any machine router, mill, plasma....
    I haven't delt with motor this big yet so just want to see what you think of them.

Thanks
    Dennis

Check these things out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dsc01120.jpg  
    Dennis

that's very nice indeed! imagine what you could push with those. phew!

but I'm not sure if geckos will provide enough juice to run them? what are those steppers rated at?

p.s. actually those wires do look a bit thin for the current I had in mind.

Like 2,6XX oz. Push the Gecko to the max and see what happends. They are 100V 6 amp. But i'll keep the Geckos under 80V.
    Dennis

I have Pacific Scientific steppers a on knee mill rated at 2200 oz/in. I use an Ahha (12 amp at 50 volt) drive, about twice the size of the gecko dirve. This is a very nice mill, been in use with this for more than five years.

It started out as an AHHA control, was Mach 2 briefly, and has been on a Camsoft control for over two years.

Karl

Are those drives attached to the side of the steppers? Can't quite make out the writing from the pic.
    Paul

No they are not attached, they are just regular geckos and a few heat sinks sitting on the motors.
    Dennis