586,116 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lines forming on the edges of my engraving!

Need a diagnosis asap,

I am using a LS900 CO2 80W laser engraver from Gravograph for all my jobs. I have currently run into a snag where lines will form 1/8in from the engraving.
    I ran a tickle test to see if I need to lower the amount of pulses. 3 looked fine so I chose it. Still got the same problem. I dropped it down to a 2 and then 1,
    but it never fixed the issue. Here are the pics so you can see what I am talking about.

thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EngravingTagProblem002.jpg   tickletest001.jpg  

thunderlaser Guest
    Hi Rustyhill
    I have a suspect with for this issue, it is a new laser machine with beginning? or it has not been happened this issue until now?
    If it before everything is ok, but it will just now run inot a snag
    And there is one of parts has some problem.
    Usually this issue is caused by the speed to fast when the laser does engraved, but the x linear guide performance unable to provide how fast the speed for the engraving jobs, but if before the engraving jobs has not this issues, that is say it don't matter with the x axis linear guide.
    1. How much do you set the speed engraving(scanning)? It is still the same when you reduce the speed to lower?
    2. Do you have check the X axis belt is loose? Might be it because working time is long, so have some loose.
    If so, please try to re-set the engrave mode from x two way beam to x one-way beam. it means the laser head will coming out the laser beam from left side to right side. but right side moving to left side will not fire.
    If you change it later and fixed this issue, that is say the x axis belt is loose.
    3. I would like to know if the software has a function with the "engrave reserve offset", this function might be would solve this issue if the x axis belt is ok.
    4. when you use 1 sample speed or pulse to do it, the result has not improve a little bit?

thank you for replying so fast.

This laser is 10 years old now, but never has had this problem until now. My previous settings for engraving on some of the recent products were 70 power, 80 speed.
    This morning I started lowering the power and speed gradually. I noticed this issue starting to get more subtle each time I lowered the settings though I was unable to
    eliminate the problem entirely. Before I was done the settings were at 10 power, 10 speed. But like I said the problem never went away completely.

I am not sure about the x axis belt. I have never tampered with it before. I will have to research the x axis one way beam to see if I can do that. Also I have never seen
    an "engrave reserved offset" option on this software. The software I use is Gravostyle 98. It came with the machine. I might have to call tech support again and ask them if its possible to do what you have requested. They haven't even responded to me since I ran into this problem.

thank you for your help.

thunderlaser Guest
    Hi Rustyhill
    Sorry for late answer
    You are welcome
    The laser seems to be so good with the quality since it already is working 10 years old
    I think that if you has never find had this problem until now, so that is say your previous settings for engraving is ok.
    I suspect that the hardware should has some problem like may the x-axis belt be loosed, or the gears teeth would be ground flat etc.
    ok, you would research the x-axis with one way beam to try if it will be resolved for this issue.
    Also the "engrave reserved offset" function can solve it if the hardware problem is not so serious.
    If you have never seen this function on Gravostyle software, you might contact the machine provider with tech support. then try it again later.