586,042 active members*
3,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > 14x14 Linear Rail Industrial Hobbies Build (Charter Oak Automation)
Page 8 of 8 678

Re: 14x14 Linear Rail Industrial Hobbies Build (Charter Oak Automation)

No it's a totally different animal here. I am using rack and pinion with a 2" pitch diameter. That gives me 6.28" per rev of travel. I didn't even need the 55 to 1 but they were cheap. It is a moving table/fixed bridge machine and even the table is r&p driven center from underneath. It originally had a 1605 ballscrew with 3-1 ratio on the table and never had a torque problem like that. I just wanted more speed so your all good.

Ben

How's it been going?
    I am brainstorming a 12x12 mill I want to build, and wanted to see how your was shaping up.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    How's it been going?
    I am brainstorming a 12x12 mill I want to build, and wanted to see how your was shaping up.
    slooowwww. I haven't touched it in a while. I did pick up the servo drivers. I will be getting all the electronics ready in the upcoming weeks. Just wish I had more time.

Someone please kick me in the A$$ to get this thing going. I haven't done anything with it. Simply because I haven't had the need to. My current machine functions just fine. Kind of like why there are stacks of generators at the local hardware store. They only disappear when a hurricane starts coming. Unfortunately I get no warning when my machine is about to break.

I even took up forging in the mean time.

Any updates on this? Lol

Hi,

Tap extraction failed. my punch broke, and the tap kept chipping off. I am not too heart broken about it, I have back-up holes.
    When I get into strife with a broken bolt or tap I take it to my local toolmaker because he has an EDM drill, just perfect. Very small holes, many tens of diameters deep WITHOUT
    deviation. The last time I went in I had him drill out a broken 4mm HSS tap. When I picked it up he handed me the workpiece and the three segments of the tap that were left after the
    core was drilled out! The thread in the workpiece was still intact and in perfect order....cost me twenty buck....bargain.

Craig

This build was put on an almost indefinite hold. No bad reasons, things just slowed down, getting older and harder to lift heavy things. I have an already running machine that does have limitations, I am afraid this build will be much more work than I am physically able to do. So I have to sit down and really think about what I am going to do with this build. The X/Y table is mostly done minus a few things here and there. its the Z axis that has to be bolted to the corner of the walls of my basement. Huge holes have to be drilled into the old cinder block foundation holding up lots of steel. I am already thinking way out into the future if moving later in life, what I am going to do with my current mill thats built into the wall. It would take a long time and a young back to break it all down with all the concrete and resin. A better option would be to design it as a free standing thing in the garage that can be moved to another property if ever the need arises which requires a complete redesign. So thats kinda why I hit the pause button when i did. Before making any more permanent modifications to the house.

Page 8 of 8 678