586,096 active members*
3,619 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EZTRAK DX II Problem

We recently got a used EZTRAK DX II. We got it up and running, but it would only run the EZTRAK software if it was started from the floppy. We decided to put a newer harddrive in and reload software. Now when we fire it up we get an error stating it cannot find the keyboard, it never had this problem before. We have thought about changing the motherboard, but I figured I would ask here before going that direction.

Thanks

Dan

We learned the following during a recent service call re our 'TRAK:

The EZTRAK software understands/was taught that it would only be using a certain size hard drive. Thus, if you have installed a bigger one than the software is looking for, you could have a situation where the computer is putting data someplace on the hard drive where the software isn't programmed to look for it. Result, sooner or later, the H/D gets do fragmented that the system won't run properly if at all....

Basically, you need to specify the hard drive per what the "TRAK software is programmed to look for (irrespective of H/D size)via seting bios accordingly and then FDISK with DOS 6.22. Then reload "TRAK sofware....

YOu also must NOT HAVE LBA turned on in your BIOS. You also have to have your "write to cache" enabled ON in bios.

Make sure you plugged the keyboard back in properly - when you change the H/D, you inevitably have to move cables around and it is easy to dislodge something...

Finally, your disk controller could be bad which is why you can't access hard drive. This might exlpain why your O/S can't find keyboard. It may just be easier to replace the M/B.

Sounds like you have an early version of the O/S. Might want to try to find version 5 or 7 - ver 6 has bugs. These (5 & 7) run off of hard drive and are pretty stable.

Finally, if you have a P/C based motherboard, DON'T go faster than 133mhz with a replacement. Ultimately, you really want to go to a DOM (disk on module) instead of hard drive - much more vibration resistant and robust. Contact Brian at BPT Machine in Carol Stream IL for a bolt-in DOM or EMI (they have a website).

NC CAMS is correct in all the above. Especially if you have switched to a full size keyboard for loading the hard drive, etc and then back to the EZTRAK keyboard. Make sure you are using the correct plug for the EZTRAK keyboard. It is the top right of the group of 3 round 1/2 inch diameter plugs.
    In CMOS, on the original mother boards, there is a keyboard test which must be set to OFF if you are using the EZTRAK keyboard. Since the EZTRAK keyboard is smaller (non standard), it will trigger a keyboard error.
    On newer motherboards, you set that it will not halt from a keyboard error.
    THEN worry about the rest!

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Can you tell me what kind of bugs Version 6 had?

We had problems making it work - period. Had to reload ver 5. I seem to recall that there were problems with engraving but I'm not sure.

When we had a service call to retune the servos and to deal with some other issues, the tech loaded ver 7. Ver 7 was only released in beta and isn't technically supported. It works well but will crash if you shut it down while in metric mode.

Ver 7 supposedly fixed the "issues" with ver 6 BUT somebody screwed up with the metric side of the system which causes it to lose/forget how to do english if you shut down in metric. Result: reload whole system to fix.

Simple fix for us - DON"T LET ANYBODY USE METRIC MODE which is pretty easy for us as we all use English measurements anyway in my shop

The problem with 6 is that the first field in a canned cycle will not clear automatically. You must backspace to get rid of the data.
    It would not engrave correctly in DO EVENT.
    Version 7, if shut down in metric, it will reboot with the control in inch but the SYS.BEZ file still in metric. This file has the machine travels, backlash, pitch error and part program zero. The fix is not to reload the control but to re-enter the parameters mentioned.
    At the main screen press the * key, a box pops up asking for the code, enter 11235, then press the ENTER key twice. Change the values back to their inch values, and save. You are running again.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

George:

We dealt with the V7.00/metric issue a slightly different way:

We don't let people who use the machine to use metric... Since most of the normal users ad old and inch/metric trained, it is no problem.

The kids who use the mill are being forceably taught the beauty of knowing both english and metric dimensional systems.

Treachery and old age overcome youth and enthusiasm....

I think you have to put the bios setting ..."no Keyboard" could be wrong (it's been a while)

See my post above.

George