586,655 active members*
4,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Timing Pulleys and belts source for larger diameter bore

Timing Pulleys and belts source for larger diameter bore

I am converting a 3 in 1 machine to VFD drives. I'm putting 3HP motors on it and they have a 1.125" shaft. I would like to put timing belts on the machine but am having a hard time to find timing pulleys that have a bore anywhere near 1.125". The size and type of belt isn't that important to me, if I could find one that would work, since it's a new installation, I can make pretty much anything work. I would suspect 3" to 5" pulley would work and most manufacturers have software that helps size the belt and pulley to the load expected.

Anyone have a source they could pass on to me that I could maybe find a pulley that would work?

Thanks.

Most any good supplier of toothed belts should be able to handle that. Try Googling. I suggest you go for a taperlock attachment, NOT a few grub screws.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply RCaffin. The problem I was having was my google searches and doing through countless catalogs, I was not finding anything in that diameter. Everything I happened upon was under and inch, and a few were up to an inch, but nothing over an inch. It appeared to me that most applications for them is in the area of stepper or servo motor drives. I've almost given up and started looking at taking my original pulleys on the machine and turn them to be double V belt and either find matching pulleys for the motors, or turn some.

You mentioned taperlock. I'm not familiar with that. Can you explain? I have keyed shafts, and was going to use that.

Last, if you have a source I could try, please let me know. I would be appreciative.

Thanks
    TeaManMachine

Hi Teaman

Companies and brands to look at include Breco, Pies, Gates (good on belts, not so good on pulleys imhe), Medway, Contiflex. I am sure there are others. The smaller tooth pitches are mainly for positioning, but the larger pitches can handle a lot of power. Many kW.

Taperlock - offered by many pulley mfrs on the larger sizes, but look at Stuewe web site as they have some good techie stuff to explain the idea. Via Euro Technologies in the USA. Yes, a lot of taperlock fittings do allow for a key as well, although you may not need it with a good taperlock.

Now, big pulleys: to get these you just need to go to a larger tooth spacing. For a T2 pulley with 100 teeth you are looking at a circumference of 200 mm and a dia of 63 mm. Even getting to 100 teeth may be rare. However, when you go to a T10 pulley with 100 teeth the diameter goes up to 318 mm. Not sure who makes a 100 tooth T10 pulley, but you get the idea. In America there are also the imperial pitches, which may be easier to find. You just need to go up in pitch.

Hth
    Cheers
    Roger

TeaManMachine

If this is for your spindle motor you want to be using a poly-v belt, not a Timing belt, Timing Belts will do the job but are very noisy for a spindle drive

Here is one you could try

Timing Pulleys - Custom Timing Pulley - Aluminum Timing Pulley - Stainless Steel Pulley | B&B Manufacturing
    Mactec54

B&B manufacturing - and they do taper lock hubs as well!
    Thanks Mactec - I have saved the web site URL.

Cheers
    Roger

Misumi US does custom machining for their products, not sure it it extends to pulleys?
    I usually use a local bearing supply that offer Martin Sheave products.
    Synchronous Sprockets
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for all the help and tips guys. I have some more research to do. Mactec, this is for spindle motors. I wasn't aware the timing pulleys were noisy, I was under the complete opposite assumption. Maybe I need to go back to the idea of a double V belt. I was thinking of zero slippage, and less noise. Maybe I'd have achieved only one of the two and been disappointed.
    TeaManMachine

If you want a quieter timing belt, there is the Eagle series from Goodyear, specially shaped belts and pulleys.
    Goodyear Eagle Pd™ Timing Belts
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    If you want a quieter timing belt, there is the Eagle series from Goodyear, specially shaped belts and pulleys.
    Goodyear Eagle Pd™ Timing Belts
    Al.
    Yes they are quieter, than the trapezial tooth timing belts/pulleys but not as quiet as the round tooth ( GT2 GT3) timing pulleys/belts also the pulleys are 3 times the price that of the GT3 series pulleys, they have an advantage with a big horse power application

I would not go by what there tests show as every application is different & you get different results, I have used them & have some in my shop

For spindle use that does not need/have an encoder feed back, a Poly-V belt is by far the best
    Mactec54