586,119 active members*
3,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > High Performance Cutting

High Performance Cutting

In the market of cutting tools, I feel that there is a big confusion between HSC and HPC.
    Some person (especially people from university and research center) say that High Speed Cutting is the same thing that High Performance Cutting.

For me, High Performance Cutting is a method where the axial and radial depth of cut are very high (ap > 1xD, ae = 1 x D) but the cutting speed is relatively slow. With this method, you can obtain very high metal removal rate.

And for you, what is High Performance Cutting ??

hp for alum. 1/2 dia 3 flute 45deg helix carbide niagara end mill 6000 rpm 1/2" depth of cut 40-60 imp feed

My "little" version of high efficiency machining in aluminum:
    Garant 12mm, 4 flute, carbide roughing endmill in a vibration dampening toolholder. (shhhh) 6000rpm, 0.5" depth, 0.35 stepover, 130 ipm at 60-70% spindle load.

To me, high performance machining means efficient material removal with consideration to tool life, time, cost, etc. This is best accomplished with very heavy and rigid machine tools (CAT50-like)

My definition of High Speed Machining (HSM) is the point at which the surface speed is so high that the unit horsepower to remove material starts to level or decrease.

HSM takes very high surface speeds and very light depths of cut. The material removal may be similar, but with less horsepower and less loading of the spindle and tool.

The types of machines used to accomplish each of these techniques will be very different.

I go with HPC. 1/2" 2 flute cutter 7/8" depth of cut 1/2" stepover 5000 rpms and 20 ipm. I could go faster but that bit hasa 2" LOC on it and it starts to chatter if I push it a little more. I do have one with a 1" LOC and that I can go 10000 rpm and 3/4" depth and .125" stepover (clean outside of rectangle up) at around 50 ipm. Granted these are solid carbide endmills with 55 deg helix and eccentrtic relief.

JP