586,082 active members*
3,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > DeskCNC Controller Board > need some basic deskcnc help

need some basic deskcnc help

I've been trying to help a coworker get a machine tool camp project going. We were able to machine a sample part when running on a computer from his office. Now he has a dedicated computer at the machine. We can jog the machine around, but when we import a DXF file and try to contour, we get a message that says; unable to write to C:\Program Files\deskcnc\configurations.cfg
    I tried working with some settings, would try to save, same message. We're both old machine shop type of guys, so of course this has us stumped. Any help? PLEASE

Did you copy the program from one machine to another using a CD burner? If so go into Windows explorer and change the file properties of ALL the files in the DeskCNC folder so that they are not read-only.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

Thanks Fred, his shop is locked up while he's at the Sign and Awards Show in Indy. It makes sense. I called him and he had copied to a disc for the new computer. I had trouble making contact with you that Friday morning in Galesburg. You were on the phone for a while, I went out to the swap meet and came back, but you were gone. I could only get a couple of hours off from work so had to get going. Hope the show went well for you! I had wanted to check on the travel and cutting speeds of your new router. I think the bed is a little small for the work I want to do in the future, but will keep my eye on it. Thanks again for the quick response. Rich

The router at the CNC-workshop was an experimental model, running at 175 ipm. We set it up outside the building, late Friday afternoon, and ran some 3D tests, cutting some scrap hardwood at 150 ipm (using a dull 1/4 hss, ball-nose bit, 30,000 rpm). The part was a Colt 45 handle that we had surface scanned earlier in the week on a Sherline.

Fred Smith - IMService
    http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby