586,103 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tormach 770

Tormach 770

I am new to machining but have an interest in the 770 by Tormach. Can this machine be used in manual mode by adding hand wheels for axis control?

Thanks!

I don't know why it is everyone with no CNC experience wants to maintain the handwheels for "manual" operation. But, I've never seen a single person actually want to USE them after finding that using the CNC capabilities is better, faster, and more accurate. Get a GOOD pendant, and learn to use MDI, and handwheels are completely unnecessary, and even undesirable. Besides, manual operation simply does not work with ballscrews.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Maybe a response that is less harsh.

If you purchase a 770 (or most other machines) you may certainly use it as a manual mill. Many people do initially and I also on occasion use my 1100 as if it had handwheels. Make sure that you have a good pendant like the Tormach Shuttle Controller (there are others) and think of it just like a crank. You select an axis with a button and as you turn the crank the axis moves and the DRO reports where the tool is.

Mechanical cranks tend to be a liability later when they are spinning and waiting to knock a finger. Machines like the MicroKinetics Express Mill have come with cranks in the past but most come off very soon. Additionally any move made with a hand crank is not reflected on the DRO.

Jump in, you will do just fine.

nitewatchman

You won't have any problem using the Tormach 770 manually by just dialing down the jog rates and jogging it around and using the MDI (Manual Data Input) section of Mach3. Also, there are some wizards that make simple things like facing a piece really easy just by entering the params.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    If you purchase a 770 (or most other machines) you may certainly use it as a manual mill. Many people do initially and I also on occasion use my 1100 as if it had handwheels. Make sure that you have a good pendant like the Tormach Shuttle Controller (there are others) and think of it just like a crank. You select an axis with a button and as you turn the crank the axis moves and the DRO reports where the tool is.
    +1 I have a nice Clausing 8520 manual mill a few feet away from my Tormach 1100 and almost always prefer to use the Tormach with the Shuttle pendant for simple, manual jobs and especially for finishing stock to size. It's far faster to use in manual mode with either the pendant or MDI than the Clausing mill. In effect you have a mill with power feeds on all 3 axes.

Mike

Thanks! Just what I needed to hear. Seems like I may have pushed someone's panic button.

My machine is similar to an 1100 and i use 80% cnc but for some fast cut and Drilling i use the handwheels so it Depends on your use ..

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Thanks! Just what I needed to hear. Seems like I may have pushed someone's panic button.

I don't have a PCNC770, but its on my short list. I can't see needing to use it manually much at all. I have a Hurco KMB now, and I do a lot of what folks would do manually by writing code snippets on the fly and jogging the machine using my touch screen interface. I have thought of getting a pendant, and I did setup a joystick on it that I never use. I'm so used to using the keyboard or the touch screen I reach right past the joystick.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com