586,055 active members*
4,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Ball Nut Mounting Flange Types - Question?

Cool Ball Nut Mounting Flange Types - Question?

I just won a 15/16-16 tap & GO/NOGO thread plug gage on eBay, I want to make some mounting flanges for the various Ball Nuts which use the 15/16-16 thread!

My question is: What design do you prefer?

1. Flat plate with four 1/4" holes, and a 15/16 thread in the center.
    2. Round flange with four holes, and thread in center.
    3. 90 deg. bracket with 15/16 thread centered on one leg and 4 holes on the other.
    4. Triangular plate with 3-holes and thread in center.
    5. Dual nut mounting for anti-backlash.
    6 something else?

Please choose one or more, and explain why!

Thanks,
    Eric
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

I would prefer the dual nut setup. as far as the configuration if you are offering to sale these, and they were a good price, I think that people would design around them, but I think that it would be nicer if it weren't a flange, but a block that bolts directly to the plate that the ballscrew will need to move.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_9335_t1.jpg  

Well, that is how I plan on doing mine, I think it will solve a few problems, one is that you don't have to take the ballnuts off to install the dual ballnuts, another is that you don't need to make a bracket to hold the flange, and another is that the preload is easlily adjustable, the same thing could easily be built for just one ballnut as well.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bruggles
    Well, that is how I plan on doing mine, I think it will solve a few problems, one is that you don't have to take the ballnuts off to install the dual ballnuts, another is that you don't need to make a bracket to hold the flange, and another is that the preload is easlily adjustable, the same thing could easily be built for just one ballnut as well.
    Just clamping them on the threads does not give any adjustment for "Anti-Backlash", neither does rotating them!

A block with holes at 90° to the leadscrew is not a problem, but the 2nd nut needs to be mounted to a plate that is mounted to the block! Then it can be shimmed / adjusted to take up the slop which caused the backlash!
    www.widgitmaster.com

What do you mean neither does rotating them, if you have two ballnuts, and you rotate 1 of them, you will be able to eliminate your backlash. With one ballnut, there aren't as many advantages to this design, but with two I think that this design would be quite benificial.

Your right, I don't know what I was thinking!
    It works because the thread pitch on the nut is different than the pitch of the lead screw!
    www.widgitmaster.com

Don't you want some spring tension between the ballnuts (wavy washers?) so you don't have to keep adjusting to take up the backlash?

Widgit, I always enjoy seeing your projects. Keep on posting!

Best,

BW

Ballscrews and nuts don't wear out very rapidly at all, they are quite hard, so you shouldn't have to adjust it too often.