586,106 active members*
3,267 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help with a new Chinese machine

So i've been looking at a Chinese machine for awhile now, getting prices from a lot of different cnc branches and so far always keep coming back to Quick Cnc they seem to me at my level of knowledge to be the best spec'ed for the money.
    so i have a few questions.

1. on a rotary axis if the diameter is say 240mm i can only odvousily fit material up to 240mm diameter round right... but could i say if the machine rotary axis only fits 240 dia still machine somthing 300mm round if the timber is 240 at the end where it goes in the chuck of the 240mm roatry axis ? makes sense to me but just wanted to check ?

2. should i just straight out get (if i can) Mach 3 ?

3. is it worth paying alittle extra to get the itailian spindle over the chinese ?

as i think of more questions i'll post them but thanks in advance to any help!

Hi there, I'm a UK agent for Quick CNC, happy to help

There are several factors to consider about a rotary axis, the combination of which will ultimately determine the maximum diameter of material you can use.
    Make sure that you have the gantry headroom/ spindle z axis depth available to cope with the diameter of material you need to mill.
    Watch out for your tool length, as this will reduce your available headroom. Also make sure that you have clearance to the bed on the rotary axis to accommodate your material.

For example: measuring from the center line of your rotary axis to the bed, let's say is 150mm. Then you could safely go to about 290mm in material diameter give or take.

Providing that:
    Your machine has a z axis height of at least 150mm between the center line of the rotary axis and the bottom of your end mill/ cutter.
    Your machine has a z axis travel of at least 155mm. I.E can plunge to the center line of your rotary axis.

If you have a tool length of 50mm, for example, then your spindle needs to be at least 200mm above your rotary axis center line, as the tool length will reduce your headroom. Most machines are usually quoted as z axis depth to the bed, not to the center line of any fitted rotary axis. A rotary axis is usually an optional extra, so just be aware of this when ordering.

For the most part, both the Chinese and the Italian HSD spindles will do the job. Water cooled spindles are a little quieter in operation than air cooled spindles, but with dust extract and vacuum running, plus all the other noise of the machine, it hardly makes a difference. Air cooled spindles have a whole lot less to go wrong, plus you don't need to find space for coolant reservoirs etc. In quality terms, the Italian HSD spindles are an order of magnitude better built and can easily be serviced if the need arises. Are they worth paying the extra for? Yes, without a doubt, but quality does come at a price. Think of it like a comparison of cheap non branded Chinese tyres or Bridgestone's on your truck. Both get the job done, but you know that the Bridgestone's will last you that little bit longer, be that little better balanced, run a little smoother/ quieter, provide better braking in the wet etc etc

To use Mach3 or not is really a personal choice. If you own a copy or are already familiar with it, then fine. A DSP controlled system is really easy to use however, and if this is your first experience with a CNC machine, you may appreciate the simplicity of the DSP system. The DSP system can be removed and the machine upgraded to run with Mach3 or some other software based controller later on if you find a need to scratch that itch. If you plan on having an ATC on your machine, things get a whole load more complicated however with PLC controllers becoming involved in the mix etc.

I hope that helps, but if you want to chat more about it, feel free to pm me
    When it all goes wrong, own up and tell the boss it was someone else!