586,094 active members*
4,137 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > 5" vs 6" vice for a pulsar
Page 1 of 2 12

5" vs 6" vice for a pulsar

So I got the 4" vice in the torus tooling kit and... well im less than impressed with it just from taking in apart and cleaning it. I had planned to use it for a while then get a proper/bigger vice, but I'm now going to bump that time table forward.

my question for those of you that are more experienced, with the smaller table and travel of the pulsar, do I really need a 6" vice or is a 5" one going to do me just as well?

I would get a 6" vise. No reason to go smaller if the 6" fits. There may come a time when you need to mill 6" wide stock.

A 6" vise is WAY too big for the Pulsar - you'd never be able to use the capacity, unless you mounted it length-wise on the table. Mounting it the normal way, you'd lose considerable Y axis travel, IF you could even find a reasonable way to bolt it down. A 4-5" vise is about right for the Pulsar.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The industry basically ignores 5" vises though.. IMO there's nothing wrong with a 4" vise, and I'd lean towards a quality 4" versus a cheap 6" any day. Especially if you can swing two identical, slim mount vises, way more versatile.

so I guess the real question is 4" vs 5" then lol. any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by amish_rabbi View Post
    so I guess the real question is 4" vs 5" then lol. any opinions?
    That should really depend on what you plan to make with it....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Are there even any well made 5" vises? I can't think of any..

Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Are there even any well made 5" vises? I can't think of any..
    All Glacern products are first-rate: Glacern Machine Tools - GSV-550 5-inch Standard Vise

Shars has a number of 5" vises that have gotten excellent reviews from people on the 'Zone.

For the Pulsar, I would think this one, or it's smaller "brother" would be an excellent choice, and it's quite inexpensive: shars.com - 5quot x 6quot Precision Toolmakers Vise

Regards,
    Ray L.

I suppose it depends on what you're using the mill for, but I would never be stuck with just a toolmakers vise..

Sorta illustrates my point though, even glacern only offers one 5" vise, and its not of particularly high quality when compared to their other offerings. You'll also have a harder time finding accessories, pre-made vise jaws are readily available in 4" and 6", but not so much in 5".. Same with parallels and work stops. This isn't to say they don't exist, but they're far more readily available for the other two sizes.

But the 5" glacern would probably be the most versatile and best fitting of their options. It fits well within the envelope, doesn't cost a fortune, provides plenty of clamping pressure and would enable clamping of slightly larger parts without requiring a second vise.. Provided you can source the accessories you want or make the ones you can't, its definitely a solid option.

I'd grab dimensions of both the table and the vises you're considering and see how they mount up. Watch out for overhang in the Y+ direction, as there isn't usually a lot of clearance between the column and the end of the table. Overhang in Y- can also be an issue, as it can interfere with an enclosure if you plan on using one. It doesn't look like it would interfere with the stand as delivered, though.

yea I was most likely going to buy a glacern vice. I did notice it was easy to find pre-made jaws in AL for the 5" but that's it, where the 4" got me easily available AL, steel, ect.

I'm going to be cutting alot on pistol slides and barrels, which are usually a little over 6" long, that is why I was looking at 6" vices because it would be nice to be able to machine the whole length of it in one setup. They are generally made of fairly tough stainless so I sort of assumed a 4" would have to much unsupported on the ends to be able to machine there.

With extension jaws, you can pretty easily go an inch outside of the vise without any noticeable depreciation in rigidity. From there, it starts to depend on material size ratios, but i've machined plenty of 10" long pieces in one go in a 6" vises, plenty of 7-8" long pieces in 4" vises, etc..

I took at quick look over at monster-jaws.com and they do now have a decent selection for 5" vises. Their site does illustrate my point to some degree though, the selection is much better for either 4" or 6"

Again, i'd take the time to see what fits within the envelope the best, and if you have a good idea of what most of your parts will look like, drop them in as well and see how they will fit.

Conquest makes a 5" vise that is essentially a clone of the Kurt. The model name is Magnum, I think, and Tormach sells it with their name cast into it. Around $500, AIR. It's made in the US and I've been using one for several years with no complaints on the larger Tormach mill.

Mike

I think the 5" will be what I go with. I do wish they had a premium version of it like the 6" one (really like that solid back jaw and ground sides) but it will have to do. I'm going to mock up some cardboard tonight but I do think it is worth it over the 4" one. I see monster jaws has 6" "blank" jaws that I can buy and then drill for the 5" vise so that takes care of the soft steel jaws problem.

Doubtful that this will work. The hole probably encroach on each other.
    It is a damn easy thing to make your own specific soft jaws. Done it often. However, they may not look as nice as the store bought from Monster. I hated ruining those and often had to resurface and step. I do have a couple more sets in the wings though. Monster jaws are a terrific value.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Doubtful that this will work. The hole probably encroach on each other.
    It is a damn easy thing to make your own specific soft jaws. Done it often. However, they may not look as nice as the store bought from Monster. I hated ruining those and often had to resurface and step. I do have a couple more sets in the wings though. Monster jaws are a terrific value.
    by 6" blank I ment they are their 6" vice jaws sans the holes in them, so you just get a machined blank that you put whatever holes you need in.

Its less the difficulty and more the time that makes me want available soft jaws for purchase.

No idea on specs or accuracy, but Tormach sells their 5" CNC vise for $295, I think. LOOKS good, I've been meaning to order it and give it a go, but shipping to Canada is painful on something like a vise.

If there's any way to make it work I think you should go for a 6" vise. It sucks to "run out" of vise. Unfortunately, I've never seen a Pulsar in person - which is why I didn't add my 2¢ earlier.

I wish there was a 3D model of the machine available so you could virtually try out different accessories before buying. If nothing else, people like me could use one to help answer questions like this.

You might also consider something else.
    Use a smaller vise for most stuff. I have the Shars 4". I like it alot.
    I also have a two piece 6" vise for large stuff should the need arise.
    I used it only once so far on my small mill.
    Works great.
    It will allow much bigger than 6" parts even on the Torus.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-pc...-Vise-6-/H2992
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    If there's any way to make it work I think you should go for a 6" vise. It sucks to "run out" of vise. Unfortunately, I've never seen a Pulsar in person - which is why I didn't add my 2¢ earlier.

I wish there was a 3D model of the machine available so you could virtually try out different accessories before buying. If nothing else, people like me could use one to help answer questions like this.
    2 vises are more capable than one, and while one 6" might fit.. it would likely tip over with two

I agree, 3D models should be available.. I've loved playing with yours, and its caused me to lean towards the torus pro a considerable bit.. so basically free marketing.

TiagoSantos - check out the glacern one, they have been very helpful to me with my questions and their shipping is very good. the 5" is light enough to be shipped USPS and with their current $25 off shipping offer its less than $100 to ship to me in BC.

I will look at those 2 piece vices. I made some cardboard templates of the 6" and 5" one but haven't been able to get to the shop yet. I will be tonight so final decision on if a 6" works will be figured out.

Page 1 of 2 12