587,019 active members*
5,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gluing a magnet on PM motor?

I got a 1HP PM motor and one of the 6 magnets came off the case, any tips on epoxy or glue to use to put it back? I did mark the way it was in.

Thanks
    Dennis

I have used a Devcon product, I think this was the one, or close to it.
    http://www.devcon.com/techinfo/177.pdf
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

An outfit called Columbus Adhesive Co. near Columbus OH sold a 2 part system expressly made for gluing magnets into motor cases. Can't recall the name.

The stuff consisted of an "oil" you swabbed into the case and a thixotropic goo (semi fluid paster) that you put 2 stipes on the magnet. After applying, sLide together. 20 Sec later, bonded with overnight cured. Had to bake until you ruined the magnets to get them loose without breaking it. It was used for starter motors as I recall.

I dunno if they're still there. Might check motor shops that service PMDC motors for a source.

Some of the guys who made slot car motors had some real killer glue too. I dunno who's still doing slot car motors. Try web search for slot cars and Koford, Pro Slot, Parma and or Fantom as they were big in it at one time..

I glued it in the morning and left it over night, will see what happens tomarrow.
    Dennis