586,652 active members*
2,731 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Broken plate inside drawbar pusher

Broken plate inside drawbar pusher

Not sure what the correct names of the parts are so I'll attach a picture.

As you can see the aluminum plate is cracked, so obviously all bets are off when trying to change tools.

Has this happened to anyone else out there?

I've only just pulled it off, so I don't know if the drawbar is jammed or anything yet. I'll see to that in a minute.

It's not a big deal to make a new plate on my Haas (other than time and money), but just like to know if anyone has come across this before, and if so what was the cause.

TIA

Matt.

I have had a few do that after 20 years of tool changes, replacement is inexpensive.
    Keep your tool out pressure under 120 psi will help, never seen a broken piston damage anything else.

The problem with aluminum it will fatigue crack eventually.

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure the pressure is being properly regulated so that this hopefully doesn't happen again.

Anyway, should have it up and running again soon. Luckily I have a Haas VF2 sitting opposite my Fadal, and a block of A6061 T6 will hopefully save the day.

Here it is almost complete. Just need to face the back side down to thickness and good to go.

Cheers,

Matt.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140226_133025.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	225750

Happy to say that it's all back together and working like a charm.

Re: Broken plate inside drawbar pusher

If you need help call FADAL at 818-727-2100. they will have parts and the answers you need..

Re: Broken plate inside drawbar pusher

Thanks, but the new plate I made has been working like a charm, so no need to hassle Fadal.

Luckily my Haas is working fine, so measuring the plate and making a new one took just a couple of hours start to finish.

Out here in darkest Thailand, it's not wise to own a Fadal. I made a mistake. It'll be gone in a couple of months, replaced with another Haas VF2, which has worked continuously, without a break from the day it was installed. Only scheduled maintenance has stopped it from making chips, and that's all been kept up to date by our friendly machine supplier.

It's a shame, as when the Fadal is behaving itself it's great. But when it spits the dummy for whatever reason there's no one to turn to of value here. Hence why I've become very familiar with the inside of it.

On the Haas,I couldn't even tell you how to take the way covers off as I've never needed to.