586,082 active members*
3,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > hypertherm 1250 with phc lift and flashcut post processor

hypertherm 1250 with phc lift and flashcut post processor

we're having a terrible time with the machine not being constant.
    we have followed the book on settings we have done everything that we think is right to the documentation provided but our cuts are terrible and different things happen each time.
    (torch lifts for no reason)(bad cuts )(jirky movement)We have tried various files,thinking the file were causing trouble.We are at wits end.So i called hypertherm and they recommended going to the manufacturer then it would come to them and possibly sending in the PHC to see if its off cal,we have no manufacturer as this sorry to say was a gorilla machine that never did work and now at the anniversary it still isn't.Hypertherm chucked and said thats gorilla as they are out of business .
    There has to be some bad setting or something off spec(i suspect the phc conmtrol) and i am surprised that hypertherm would not make an exception because the manufacture is out of business and let us ship the phc in for an inspection.
    i was surprised at the treatment and comments from them, its not a good business way of maintaining a good reputation for further sales
    this was an expensive machine and its not running good to the point where most work pieces are ruined near the end of the cut.It will not cut something 4inx 4in,seems its too small to be accurate

Woodman08,

I'd be happy to work with you to try to sort out your issues. I can help you get your settings correct on the Powermax 1250 and the Sensor PHC (if that is what your height control is) as those products are produced by Hypertherm....and I know that they will perform as designed.

One thing that s difficult to do from a remote location...is to determine if the machine motion or the electrical interface is of issue. Jerky, inconsistent x and y motion will cause any arc voltage based height control to do starange things.....such as dragging on the plate or rising off the plate, as constant machine speed is necessary to make this type of height control work.

Here are a few suggestions to get started:

1. Lets start fresh with new consumables in the Hypertherm torch....make sure they are a good match for the material that you would like to cut.

2. Choose some material....perhaps some 1/4" mild steel plate, and then program a simple part such as a 4" x 4" rectangle.

3. I would choose the 40 Amp consumables (and look at the machine cutting chart in your Hypertherm manual) 120930 shield, 220061 retaining cap, 120932 nozzle, 120926 electrode, 120925 swirl ring.

4. Make sure the ohmic wire from the PHC is attached to your retaining cap.

5. Use a programmed cut speed of 48 inches per minute, set the pierce height to 1/8" to 3/16" (3 to 5 mm) , pierce delay time to 1 second, cut height to 1/16" (1.5mm), and amperage to 40 Amps, and set arc voltage to 149, these settings are all out of the Hypertherm manual, and I know they work....with possible exception of the arc voltage as that varies from installation to installation.

6. Do an IHS test (the instruction manual will tell you how to do this...this will confirm the pierce height is correct).

7. Do a first test cut and carefully observe the torch to work distance....it needs to be 1/16". If too high, lower the arc voltage setting on the PHC, if too low, raise the arc voltage setting until it is just right.

8. Once the height seems correct, do another sample cut. If the height control is rising off the plate or crashing into the plate....then lets put the height control in manual mode and do another cut with the torch at a fixed height of 1/16", to do this you will have to ensure that your plate is level....so that 1/16" is maintained all around the cut perimeter.

Things that can go wrong and cause an arc voltage height control to provide inaccurate height:

1. If the cnc on the cutting machine settings are incorrect. The cnc must provide a height freeze signal in all corners, in small (under about 1" diameter holes) that locks out the arc voltage control to eliminate diving in these areas, the diving is due to the z , y axiss slowing down for cornering. If you see the torch dive and drag in corners, on kerf crossing, and in small holes and fine features...then you will need to revisit the arc voltage interface settings in your software.

3. If you are cutting along and the torch rises off the plate.....if it rises and stops at a certain height but keeps cutting....then simply lower the voltage setting until it is at the right height. If it continues to rise randomly, then there could be an issue with the pHC internally.

4. As consumables wear, expect the torch height control to move the torch coser to the plate. It is normal with any plasma/thc to have to increase the arc voltage as the consumables wear...in order to maintain the proper torch to work distance.

5. If the torch dives and drags often...and simply increasing the arc voltage does not work, and you are sure the cnc is freezing the height in corners and during decelleration...then check your work ground to your cutting table, a loose connection can cause thc diving. On some plate, such as small pieces or thin materials and especially aluminum, it is a good practice to have a welding cable with one end attached to the grounding (work cable connection) and the other end with a 100 amp welding clamp that can attach directly to the material you are cutting.

Please try the above, or at least report back to me with more detail and I'll try to help you out. You have a great plasma and THC system, I do not know much about the rest of the machine! perhaps with a little step by step testing, and new consumables are a must, then we can isolate where the issues are coming from.

If there would be a calibration issue wioth the Sensor PHC....the above tests will help us out. On this type of system it is important to set the arc voltage to whatever setting gives you the physical height required in the Hypertherm cut charts. The voltages listed in the cut charts are recommended starting points....but vary from site to site as there are at least a dozen variables that affect the relationship between voltage and height with any arc voltage height control system. Regardless, if there is an issue with part of the Hypertherm system we certainly will stand behind it as we always do.

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by woodman08 View Post
    we're having a terrible time with the machine not being constant.
    we have followed the book on settings we have done everything that we think is right to the documentation provided but our cuts are terrible and different things happen each time.
    (torch lifts for no reason)(bad cuts )(jirky movement)We have tried various files,thinking the file were causing trouble.We are at wits end.So i called hypertherm and they recommended going to the manufacturer then it would come to them and possibly sending in the PHC to see if its off cal,we have no manufacturer as this sorry to say was a gorilla machine that never did work and now at the anniversary it still isn't.Hypertherm chucked and said thats gorilla as they are out of business .
    There has to be some bad setting or something off spec(i suspect the phc conmtrol) and i am surprised that hypertherm would not make an exception because the manufacture is out of business and let us ship the phc in for an inspection.
    i was surprised at the treatment and comments from them, its not a good business way of maintaining a good reputation for further sales
    this was an expensive machine and its not running good to the point where most work pieces are ruined near the end of the cut.It will not cut something 4inx 4in,seems its too small to be accurate

thanks --we'll follow up

Right now we are re-routing a power supply to the compressor,once thats finished ,we'll run all the tests you have shown.
    Really appreciate what you are going to do with us

better results much better

Thanks for the tips the setting of 48 in/sec made a big difference,we're not 100% yet but close,the machine sounds better cuts better but some areas are not ,i have re-checked the files and it still persists
    Attached are photos and videos

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwEbeq5otvA"]YouTube - teswt of cutting a square[/nomedia] cnc square test sept28
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1dnsx4AAJ0"]YouTube - wolf profile cut[/nomedia] cnc wolf cut sept 28
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2TTLT4adu8"]YouTube - horse profile cut[/nomedia] cnc horse profile sept 28
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrMJ1BHP-Ls"]YouTube - letter_p.wmv[/nomedia] letter p sept 28
    Initially we had torch alarm problems but tech support helped there.
    This machine was set at 150 in/sec and the feedrate ramping was 12.50 now 48 and running very smooth
    The machine config is also attached,in conclusion there is nothing wrong with the hypertherm ,its finiky but does its job
    Any suggestions would be appreciated

alone in southwestern ontario
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails letter_p.jpg   wolf_cut.jpg   nocut_2.jpg   mach_set.jpg  

Would you be able to tell me how your system managed to sync flash cuts software with the PHC. I recently purchased a pro series micro stepper kit for use with my plasma table and cannot figure out how to get the controller to set up the proper inputs/outputs with the PHC. Does your system just hook in using the DB25 pin cable to connect the two?

we never got our problems resolved ,and I believe flash cut is not a good PP for plasma,after 2 years of misery we sold the system in pieces.
    We could not get anyone to assist all in our problems,we were not looking for a free ride but they all turned there backs on us
    and the company that produced the table went out of business about 1 month after we bought.
    The table would not make a constant cut (work one day the next waste steel)
    I also feel the phc unit is more that one needs just adds to being too complicated

The Sensor PHC (height control) from Hypertherm is an industrial grade height control system, it is designed for use on cnc machines that have industrial cnc interfaces with a "corner lockout" function to eliminate diving in corners. It is not designed or recommended for entry level cnc machines that use a personal computer or laptop as the cnc control. There are thousands of Sensor PHC height controls in field use on industrial cnc machines. Nice height control in these applications.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by woodman08 View Post
    we never got our problems resolved ,and I believe flash cut is not a good PP for plasma,after 2 years of misery we sold the system in pieces.
    We could not get anyone to assist all in our problems,we were not looking for a free ride but they all turned there backs on us
    and the company that produced the table went out of business about 1 month after we bought.
    The table would not make a constant cut (work one day the next waste steel)
    I also feel the phc unit is more that one needs just adds to being too complicated