586,113 active members*
3,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Trying to learn all about CNC plasma cutting

Hey guys, my name is Mikey and I run a small metal fabrication/wood working/hobby shop and have been heavily considering getting a CNC plasma cutting system. I've been doing a fair amount of research on the subject and while I have learned a lot, I have often been left even more confused then before I started. I think it's mainly the electrical/software aspect of everything that I am having a hard time understanding. That along with the countless companies and systems out there, it's just kind of a mess.

Basically what I'm asking is, are there any pages/resources which offer great information regarding CNC plasma cutting and all associated softwares and electronics all compiled in one long educational write-up? I really want to understand as much as I can so I can make a smart, educated decision on which setup to pursue when that time comes (hopefully later this year).

Thank you in advance for any tips!

Re: Trying to learn all about CNC plasma cutting

I feel your pain, man...I went through the same thing before I dove in. After all my research, I decided that for my situation I was going to use a Precision Plasma gantry and CandCNC electronics. While they certainly won't be for everybody, they were great for me because I wanted to save a little by assembling my own table, yet I still wanted the assurance of tech support when I inevitably hit roadblocks due to my lack of knowledge when first starting out.

I am about 3 weeks into cutting now, and I've made it this far pretty much via this forum and the literature provided by both companies I purchased my equipment from. Even if you don't buy their stuff, I'd be willing to bet you'd learn a lot from their manuals.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. I'm still a newbie, but I have learned a lot during my build and I can probably answer a lot of your questions.

Hi milke,
    I think having a metal workshop seems good enough for any person to make his own cnc machine, you should know a little bit of software and basic electronic knowledge is a must.
    Make sure all your parts are right angled,I think you would make it .... all the best
    I just finished my cnc machine last week, in India it takes a lot of time to procure material.we have very less online websites.so need to go weekend doorstep shopping to get all nuts and bolts!!!!!

I don't know of a single publication like that, but some must exist. I would suggest reading through some of the plasma build logs here at the Zone. See what guys have made and what they use for software. All of it is a learning curve and will not get done without extensive research.
    On the other hand, you can get by with turnkey products sometimes. Like Plasma Cam. You are then kinda locked into the software they use, but if you don't have a favorite, that may not be a bad thing. The main thing is read all you can on the subject and the Zone is a very good place to start.
    Lee

A lot of stuff is made to a budget.
    This also leads to wrong conclusions, and less than stellar results.

The most common is a new person trying to make stuff cheap, and using too small in motion control, too big in steppers, and bad drivers and or bobs.

There currently is not a "book" that covers all the aspects of modern day cnc plasma cutting, however there is one in the works and it will be available in a few months. In the mean time, feel free to ask any and all questions on this and other online forums. There are many end users out there that have bought turnkey machines, have built kit machines, and some that have built machines from scratch. There are over 100 manufacturers (worldwide) of cnc plasma machines, and with machines ranging in price from $3000 to well over a million dollars (typical 350' x 50' shipyard machine)...there certainly are a lot of choices!

If you have thought about what you need in terms of the size of the cutting bed, the range of materials and thickness, as well as the accuracy requirements, then there are a number of us industry veterans (I have worked with CNC machine manufacturers for 37 + years) that will help steer you in the right direction. Budget (of course) is another factor that will control what you will get....and another important concern is with the relative ease of learning the software, and the ongoing ease of use of the machine after it is running in your shop. Some software and machine designs are far more user friendly than others!

Here is a popular video (over 130,000 views) that was filmed in my home hobby shop.....you can see the ease of use and relative capability of a typical low cost, entry level cnc machine.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvIpgBNyXBs

Jim Colt Hypertherm [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by CubbyChowder View Post
    Hey guys, my name is Mikey and I run a small metal fabrication/wood working/hobby shop and have been heavily considering getting a CNC plasma cutting system. I've been doing a fair amount of research on the subject and while I have learned a lot, I have often been left even more confused then before I started. I think it's mainly the electrical/software aspect of everything that I am having a hard time understanding. That along with the countless companies and systems out there, it's just kind of a mess.

Basically what I'm asking is, are there any pages/resources which offer great information regarding CNC plasma cutting and all associated softwares and electronics all compiled in one long educational write-up? I really want to understand as much as I can so I can make a smart, educated decision on which setup to pursue when that time comes (hopefully later this year).

Thank you in advance for any tips!