586,366 active members*
3,467 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 1100 Lube System Z Slide and Dovetail

1100 Lube System Z Slide and Dovetail

I have a new 1100 with the manual lube pump. I check the slides, dovetails, and ballscrews occasionally by feel to ensure they are getting oil. This morning I noticed the right side Z slide felt a little dry. I pumped twice, ran the head up and down and still the same. I put a little way oil on it directly like I usually do, and traced the oil line back. There is a manifold on the back left of the head that supplies the oil to the left and right sides and the z ballscrew. I unscrewed each fitting at its end and pumped to see if the slides and dovetails were getting oil. The right side was not. I loosened the fitting at that manifold and was getting plenty of oil at the manifold. I took off the orifice fitting and sprayed it with WD40. I noticed the orifice looked tiny (less than .030" I guess) and that supplies the right side slide and dovetail. I checked the other orifice that goes to the ballscrew and it was clear and the orifice there was at least 3 times the size. I let the right side orifice sit in wd40 for a while and primed the right side line. I reassembled and pumped a few more times until I could get oil out the right side.

I get about 1.5 drops per pump at the end of the right side Z slide and dovetail oil fitting. I didn't measure what I got at the left side slide, but it was quite a bit more.

Does that orifice and amount of oil to the right side seem very low? Has anyone looked at those orifices to verify the size for the right side line.

Thanks for the help.

I had the exact same problem last summer, I found that the little clamp holding the right tube in place at the top of the head was indexed ~45 degrees and was pressing on the tube itself. I corrected and oil started flowing.

I just checked a few minutes ago and found that neither side of Z was getting oil, its about 35 degrees in my shop so hoping its just too thick to flow up there and will be fine in the warmer months, until then its a manual lube job :- )

Jason

Well, after all this time, I finally have a conclusion for why the right side Z axis didn't get much oil. I checked everything I could and cleaned and purged, replaced the pump O-ring and gasket, but nothing got it to where I thought it should be.

I finally decided to just replace the orifice fitting that feeds the right side of the Z axis. When I got the replacement fitting I noticed it was different. I disconnected the outlet tubing and swapped the original and the replacement out twice and watched the oil flow with one pump stroke for each fitting. The original fitting produced a tiny amount of oil with a full pump stroke. The new fitting produced many times more oil.

I hooked the oil line back up gave it a pump and ran the head up and down. Wow, what a difference. It is now getting oil!! I have been manually oiling it all this time as a precaution. I won't have to any more.

I will take a picture of the non-working fitting end so anyone else with a similar one may be able to check that and clear up their problem.

I had a similar problem with my Series 1 back in 2006, only it was the left side z-axis that seemed short of oil. I did all the same checks and clean out and it improved sufficiently that I called it good. One think to remember is that if you open one port up to improve the flow at that location you may reduce the flow at another location, especially as all flow paths are not the same length so friction losses will differ. Providing all ports are at least open then the main indicator for adequate oil distribution is that the pull handle takes some time to go back in after a pull.

Phil

The handle still takes quite a while to get back in. I will have to time it again. The good thing about the previous oil distribution was that the ball screws got LOTS of oil, even though the right side z did not. I keep checking them to make sure it is more evenly distributed.

I will upload a picture of the differences of the fittings when I get a chance.

It took 29 seconds for the handle to fully retract. I think i am back in business.

Picture of Tormach 1100 Z-axis oil restrictors

Here is a picture of the original fitting, on the left, and the replacement fitting on the right.

The original says TCJ on it and has a flat end on it.

The replacement fitting says SBJ on it and has a "nipple" on the same end. It gets better flow to the right side Z-axis. If you are experiencing light oil to the right side Z-axis, you can check the restrictor and see if it matches one of these.