586,069 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > G-Code Programing > DESPERATELY NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING A RADIAL HOLE WITH C AXIS

DESPERATELY NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING A RADIAL HOLE WITH C AXIS

Hi Everyone:

Looking for help with using the C axis on my lathe to make a oval hole in the side of a workpiece that I will have machined into a tube. I see all kinds of references and posts about using the G112 function, but they all seem geared to face work rather than radial, or side, work.

The machine is a Wasino LJ6MC with a Fanuc 0TC control; wonderful 1994 machine that cuts like no tomorrow. Anyway, if someone could post me a sample program of a radial hole that's, say, 2.00" oal by 1.00" high with .50" radii all-around, I'm sure I can figure out how to modify it to my exact dimensional needs. I'm not sure if the G112 option is turned on in my lathe, but I did enter it as an MDI last night and got no errors or alarms. Hopefully, this means it's on, if indeed it's actually used for this kind of program.

Thanks!

Drew in CT

G112 is for face work only.

There are 2 possibilities:

1. Your control has the G107 "Cylindrical Interpolation" option, in which case you can program the oval with arc segments (as if it were flat), and the control will wrap it around the cylinder.

2. Your control doesn't have G107 and you'll have to break the arc segments into tiny line segments and make individual Z-C moves to approximate the curvature.

Do you know which one you have?