586,042 active members*
3,753 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Working with timber not fully seasoned?

Hey Guys,

Question if I may please.

I have an opportunity to buy some off cuts for doing some bas reliefs.

But before I buy I need to ask the question because I don't know the consequences of buying timber than is not seasoned.
    It has 35% moisture content.

Something I've not thought about before nor do I have the knowledge.

If timber planks/off cuts still have a high moisture content (and I don't know what high or low is) I dare say 35% is a lot.
    How does a cnc router cope with cutting timber that is not seasoned is there an issue? Is it easier for a router to cut through timber that has a high moisture content - would there be an issue with fraying and feathering not being able to get a smooth finish.

Apart from the issue of timber as it drys warping.

I apologise in advance if what I'm asking is a very noob type of question, I've tried searching for working with non seasoned timber etc but not much luck.

Regards to all,

Steve

Working wood with a high moisture content isn't that hard; it actually cuts pretty well, although the chips are harder to blow away. Fraying and feathering is more dependent on the type of wood you're cutting than its moisture content. If you've ever cut down trees with a chainsaw, you've got an idea of what to expect.

Depending on the species, the wood can warp a little or a lot after cutting, as it dries. But if you carve it to an even thickness, it's a lot less liable to checking than if you'd left it as a log. I'd say give it a try and see how it goes for you.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hey Andrew G'day,

Thank you for the courtesy of reply, that puts me at ease with purchasing the timber I'm wanting too.

Much appreciate your time.

Regards,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Working wood with a high moisture content isn't that hard; it actually cuts pretty well, although the chips are harder to blow away. Fraying and feathering is more dependent on the type of wood you're cutting than its moisture content. If you've ever cut down trees with a chainsaw, you've got an idea of what to expect.

Depending on the species, the wood can warp a little or a lot after cutting, as it dries. But if you carve it to an even thickness, it's a lot less liable to checking than if you'd left it as a log. I'd say give it a try and see how it goes for you.

warpage is the big issue not the CNC machining.
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Hey Khalid g'day,

Understood, and thank you for your reply.

I've googled and found various ways to keep your work square and dry the timber out. I dont imagine having too much trouble with timbers no more than 25 mill thickness and whatever it is by the time the machining is done. The stuff Im doing is for personal use and gifts (evil grin) so if they warp gives the family something to talk about.

My primary concern was the ability to machine wood not fully seasoned Andrew has put me at ease there so will go ahead and buy and see what happens.

Its not a fortune Im sinking and I hope will be a good learning curve as well.

Lots to know and I only have a 100 years life left in me..

Regards,

Steve